Monday, March 31, 2008

The Worth of a Soul


I love art.  I studied Impressionism at the Musee d'Orsay in high school, haggled over oil paintings in Saigon until shop owners were ready to throw me out (but I got really good deals!), and growing up I would hang out at the St. Louis Museum of Art for relaxation.  I like reading about artists and knowing the full picture behind the canvas: Gaugain's journey to Tahiti-and syphilis, for example, or asking the artist in a bazaar in Rangoon, "Who is she?" when I buy a portrait.  I'm not much of an artist myself, but I appreciate quality, the artist's mind, and a good story. 


I knew we weren't doing much for the new baby's nursery.  Call it third child syndrome.  But I wanted something that represented Africa; something for this child alone that said, "This is my room."  Today, I found it!  Liz Lemon Swindle painted this for Mothers Without Borders (another one of my favorite things, by the way) while in Zambia addressing their AIDS orphan crisis.  This painting, "The Worth of a Soul", sprang from that experience, and profits from its sales go toward Mothers Without Borders.   I'll have to save up a little to get the big canvas size that I want for new baby, but I have a few months, so that shouldn't be a problem.   It speaks exactly what I want new baby to know: He is loved.  He has a Father.  He is worthy.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

GORGEOUS! That is perfect for your new addition! I'd hang that in any room of my house!

Jason said...

Beautiful picture. Where is this one done? It looks like it is a mural on a wall. Very well done. The detail in this one is quite amazing. Their eyes are so lifelike and the shading around his beard is fantastic. Plus, it is a great message for your new addition to receive through this painting. You are an amazing mother. I'll see you guys soon, I should be in Wed. evening. I’ll call Tim with the details.

Tiffany said...

I think it's just on canvas. There were 1600 or so canvas ones done, the number of orphans created each day in Africa due to HIV. It would balance the SE Asian one we have on the living room for J. well, I think. See you soon,

Melanie said...

Hey Tiff, I just looked at your verse of the day and it fits this portrait so well. "The LORD will fight for you; you need only to be still." This is a gorgeous picture.

Debbie said...

I love this painting!!! I can't find where to order it and the cost. There are pictures you can buy in Ethiopia too, at the Mall. The Dimbe center.

Debbie

Debbie said...

Beautiful painting, Tiffany and what a loving expression to show your new little one.