Monday, May 07, 2007

All We Need is 40 Acres and VW Van

Allow me to bring you into my communal part of life. I've talked a lot about friends, family, adoption, work, and daily life, but I've never written a post that glimpsed into the commune. Yes, commune. Someone used that term in reference to us years ago and it stuck. Now, when one of us says, "the commune," we know exactly which 8-9 couples we're talking about. Really, family is probably a more accurate term for what we are. This group is my foundation, and life would be terribly lonely without them.

It started when were all a part of a Newly married/Nearly married church small group 6 years ago that quickly evolved into a Newly parent/Nearly parent group. Some couples have come and gone during that time, as far as Italy even, but we're inseparable in heart.

So, what makes the commune any different from any other friends? That's hard to explain. It's such an intimate connection that I never wrote of it here before, like it was too sacred to expose. But without saying too much, here are just a few things that make us what we are:

1. I can look around my house and say, "Eli hung that light;" "Brian hung those curtains;" "R's Tim hung that fan and made those cabinet doors;" "J. tilled that ground,"etc... because the commune guys take care of the commune girls when one of the husbands is deployed. I know some of you commune girls have had some swing sets and ceiling fans that bring back the same memories for you in your houses! Ceiling fans....oh, funny times! ;)

2. We can call each other in times of trouble without a second thought and know that no repayment is due. I'm thinking of someone who mixed cleaning toxins to scrub her bathroom tiles while her husband was deployed and found herself terribly sick in the middle of the night and called me at 2:00am to come over in case she passed out and couldn't take care of her kids! No judgement, dear friend; you should read #3:

3. I left for SE Asia for 6 months, and the electric company told me to turn off the switches in the switch box to save electricity. So, I did. What I didn't do: empty the freezer/refridgerator because I was too distracted to make the connection that switches connected to anything other than lights. Two months or so later...Sara is calling other commune girls trying to figure out what died in my house and probably searching for a hazardous waste suit once she figured it out because she'd need it to clean out my fridge. Yes, she went in there, masked and gloved, and CLEANED my fridge. That is my #1 blonde moment in my life, and that is an amazing friend!

4. I've showed up at a commune girl's house in the middle of the night for a hug and a good cry.

5. We bonded over cinnamon rolls, meatballs, chicken enchiladas, fruit pizza, and any one of Mel's many kid friendly recipes.

6. We were there for each other when a husband's humvee blew up; when a husband hadn't been heard from in awhile, when a husband was deploying AGAIN just after the birth of a baby, and when husbands did all sorts of other-ahem-unpleantries. ;)

7. Has there been a birth where at least one of us wasn't IN the room or on the phone? You were there when I stepped off the plane with Judah and when we brought Caleb home. My fridge was stocked with food for a week, and there were balloons, signs and toys for Judah when he first walked into his forever home.

8. Husbands deployed together and watched out for eachother with a much deeper intensity than just any other soldier would have.

9. Wine and cheese parties at my house. I don't even need to elaborate on that one, do I girls?

10. There have been long heart to hearts in cars, on tailgates, on couches and hospital waiting rooms.

11. We ask each other to raise our children should we both die.

12. We worship and pray together-often.

13. We're all military, so we all move away at some point. Even so, whenever we're reunited it's like we were never apart.

We disagree, argue, make up, talk it out, ask favors, hang out, fix stuff, and celebrate. It's family. Commune, feel free to comment on your favorite memory. I know I'm leaving out some of the best stuff.

So, what's spurred this post on when I've kept these friends so private? The fact that this has been a terribly depressing week. The bad dream I thought I'd wake up from turns out to be reality and Sara and J. really are moving away. Far away. There have been moves before, of course, but none have been as sad as this one. We're separating from two very dear friends, a brother and a sister, and it honestly makes my heart hurt. The up side is that this move is a wonderful opportunity for their family to be together for a few years, deployment free, in a wonderful place. We really are happy for them, but sad to say, "good-bye." There are reunions planned, they'll move back to this side of the country in a few years, and as I said before, no number of miles can separate the love that "the commune" has for its members. If I can find a way to call you two with a crisis on an internet phone from the jungles of Cambodia, I can keep in touch from one side of America to the other! You will be deeply, DEEPLY missed by me and Tim and the boys. Even though you won't be 15 min. away anymore, you'll both be at the forefront of our hearts and lives forever.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I may have to come back and post many favorite memories. There are so many!!! I have to ask though, where in the heck was that picture taken that I was in? I have been racking my brain and I can't remember!!!! Ok.....favorite memories.....being there for Heather when Maddie was born and Eli couldn't be there. We really came together as true sisters that day. Um, piling in my minivan with the Demings and Robyn and taking off and driving for awhile before someone finally paid attention to Christian and realized that he was trying to tell us we forgot to buckle him up (guess we were talking a lot)!!!! The boys piling on Maurice at Thanksgiving at my house and then giving him birthday spankings. Most importantly, some of my favorite memories are being a part of good-byes where you have friends that don't just say good-bye, they cover you with their hands and pray over you and your family. Couldn't ask for a greater blessing. You all know how much I love you. Thanks for putting words to our wonderful family Tiff! I may be back to post more!!!! Love you all! Melanie

Tiffany said...

Melanie,
We were at DJ's old place for something years ago. You are pregnant here with Chloe. Could it have been your going away party? Maybe we just all got together for dinner, but it was at DJ's.

Anonymous said...

Too many tears to post a memory right now! I can't seem to stop crying!!!! You all have meant the world to me for so very long! RRW

Anonymous said...

Wow, those kind of friends ARE forever. I am so grateful that you have wonderful people in your life like this Tiffany. A mother always worries about her children whether they are 2 or 30. So it really means a lot to know that there are people there for you when I can't be. Military life is so different from regular life and it takes military families to understand. God bless ALL of you. Mom

Anonymous said...

I am sorry that you hurt so bad. I do too about them leaving. I am crying with you. I wanted to write a letter to them but I could not put anything on paper that would do that bond justice. they are family. Not the kind of family that you are stuck with but the kind that you choose, and what makes it better the kind that chooses you. Timmy

Anonymous said...

Wow....this made me tear up. Can you believe it girls?
Favorite mems. 1) Tiffany passing me a note inviting me to a Bible study. Without that we never would have experienced commune life and these other memories wouldn't have been possible. 2)Being there with Heather and you girls when she delivered her baby girl. That experience was not only amazing, but life changing. It changed what I thought was going to be a very, very sad day forever (the day Mary died) into a happy one. I can't say thank you enough. 3)Being in the delivery room and knowing there is a room full of girls down the hall chomping at the bit to come and see my new baby boy. I know my mom was glad all of you girls were there. 4) Knowing that Tiffany and Tim trust us with their son while they are out of the county. 5) Garage sales... 6)going to Victoria's Secret and helping a firend find sexy attire to welcome him home from deployment.I could go on forever. I never thought I could meet and be friends with such a wonderful group of women. I hope we can sit around someday as old women and laugh about a lifetime of memories together. We don't have to live next door to be friends. Distance only describes miles, not what's in our hearts.
Love,
DJ

Anonymous said...

I feel kind of sad that I wasn't as much a part of things as I wanted to be (my fault for having an overscheduling problem) but I do have many wonderful memories I'll never forget...My favorite memories were spending Baylen's 1st Birthday at the Demings (thank you for sharing your home) and fighting Jason and Aaron over putting unnecessary comments/pictures on Baylen's autograph puppy dog, the night Heather came over to spend the night and help me when Maurice was deployed and I was getting no sleep at night (you have no idea Heather how much that meant to me!), eating Melanie's yummy fruit salsa, spending Thanksgiving together, the crazy white elephant Christmas gifts (spicy sardines and toilet paper?), Tiffany coming to the hospital and waiting for me to wake up when my delivery became a sudden emergency (Thank you Tiff for caring about me so much!), of course Heather giving birth, the only birth I've been awake to witness and with Eli on the phone it was just an amazing experience I'll never forget, Robyn's help when I needed to go to college in Florida for a week while Maurice was away especially going over the bridges, ha ha! (your devotion to everyone is so evident on how you come to the rescue in big ways)...I could go on and on about all the memories, Maurice would probably add the Bears Football Game trip! I love you guys and miss you terribly! I wish so much that all of our kids could grow up together.
Love,
Kim

Anonymous said...

my heart hurts...i need some kleenex!! I love`you all so much! I hope you all know how much you mean to me, I hope I have shown you friendship like you've shown me. I LOVE YOU!!I have to go (I can't stop crying!!)

Tiffany said...

Who wrote the comment above this? Is that Sara? If you check anonymous, make sure you sign your name at the bottom of your message, unless of course you want to be anonymous! ;)Come back, come back whoever you are and tell us who you are!