Q: Which of the following individuals is Ghandi, the assassinated Indian champion of civil disobedience who used peaceful means to free India from England?
A.
OR
B.
Funny story: C.'s favorite book is David Goes to School. Yes, I'm working on turning him to more, well, enlightening literature, but for now-the past year or so actually-it's David or bust. He'll go to his bookcase and throw books over his shoulder, muttering, "No, Daba!" (No, David!)until he finds it. Then he laughs with glee, sits down, and reads every page. Every page is the same, mind you: "No, David! No chewing gum in school." "No, David! No hitting the girl next to you." No, David! No throwing food." I guess he can relate to this David character. I went to Barnes and Noble to buy C. the above pictured book, another in the series, appropriately titled, "No, David!" but I just couldn't do it. We bought "God Bless the Child that Has His Own" complete with the Billie Holiday CD instead. Grandparents, please buy C. "No, David!" He LOVES it, and I just can't stoop to buying it when there is so much else out there. Well...on with the story...
I have a couple of tee-shirts with Ghandi's portrait on them. (Of course you do, Tiffany. . .) Yesterday, I'm wearing one of these shirts. Ghandi's face is big on the front and it reads his famous quote, "An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind" underneath. I go to get C. up from his nap and reach for him when he mysteriously explodes into joy. He points, grabs at Ghandi on my shirt and starts right in with, "No, Daba! No, Daba!" I gasp. "He thinks Ghandi is David." My son thought Ghandi was David. It must be the hair.
Needless to say, we spent the day practicing saying, "Ghandi," and the little man finally got it during dinner. "Ghandi!" he said, clear as a bell. He also says, "God" and "Amen" when we pray, just so that you know my priorities are right. ;) Though despite my hard word, this morning C. pulled that same Ghandi shirt out of the dirty clothes, was carrying it around and proudly shouting, "No, Daba! No, Daba!" Well, at least I tried. We'll have to use Martin Luther King Jr. as our civil disobedience example, or Jesus, but I hoped to save him for rescuing the world from death and offering eternal life. Thankfully, either way, neither of them look anything at all like David.
By the way, in case the hair threw you too, the answer is A. Have a blessed week!








3 comments:
Oh that's funny. Especially since he's YOUR son! But doesn't David's mom give him a big hug at the end of the book and say that she loves him no matter how bad he is? If that isn't the heart of pacifism, what is? Great post! Hope to talk to you soon.
LOL!!!!! Oh how terribly funny!!! I can see just a hint of resemblence though! RRW
FUNNY!!!! I know the "No David!" books well from teaching little ones, and they are a favorite! I never thought of the Ghadi thing though... Caleb is a clever one!! :)
Post a Comment