Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Summer Candy

OK, it isn't technically summer yet. But we're eating cottoncandy outdoors, J.'s school year ends next week; we're flipping in flops-or is it flopping in flips? We're going to our church's family camping retreat this weekend and getting invitations for summer weddings. In addition, to C. and J.'s severe disappointment, it is certainly still light outside when the boys go to bed, hence this Robert Louis Stevenson classic:

Bed in Summer
In winter I get up at night
And dress by yellow candle-light.
In summer quite the other way,
I have to go to bed by day.
I have to go to bed and see
The birds still hopping on the tree,
Or hear the grown-up people's feet
Still going past me in the street.
And does it not seem hard to you,
When all the sky is clear and blue,
And I should like so much to play,
To have to go to bed by day?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

How nice to see Judah indulging in all that America has to offer! Enjoy the retreat.

Debbie said...

We are also enjoying summerish feeling here in the northeast. It is still cool, but oh so tantilizing of things to come.

PS-I also enjoyed the Grapes of Wrath. The ending was a bit out there for me.

Anonymous said...

Love the picture of Judah. The 7th graders are learning about the depression right now. They will read the Grapes of Wrath next year. I don't think they really understand how bad it was for people then. Big test over it tomorrrow. We shall see what they understand then. Love ya, Lolah

Tiffany Rose said...

Tiffany,
I'm SO SORRY didn't go this weekend. I really feel badly about committing to this and then backing out on you. There were multiple reasons I felt like I couldn't leave this weekend. I'm sure you understand. PLEASE PLEASE, lets get together another time!!

Anonymous said...

Tiffany, Just finished a book the 7th grade is reading for extra credit. "No Promises in the Wind" by Irene Hunt. About 3 young boys who have to leave home in the 30's because their family can't feed them. Hope you are having a great week. Love ya, Mom