Wednesday, October 08, 2008

The Responsibilities that Come with Shoes

When Sunflower and I landed in America, I said aloud, "Welcome to America.  You have a Daddy here, and a house."


A man across the aisle added, "And clean drinking water."

His friend said, "And medical care," no doubt because he had witnessed with eyes and nose Robyn and I change no less than a dozen diarrhea diapers and were clearly transporting a sick child.  Thank you, unknown plane companion, for being compassionate and not complaining!  

A woman waiting to exit the plane chimed in, "We have education here."
Another woman, "And hamburgers.  We have meat that you can eat here."  

A hundred thoughts went through my mind then as myself and my flying companions were about to step foot back into America.  What Sunflower was losing by leaving Africa certainly was at the forefront, but also all of the things she would gain-in her case, likely life itself-by moving to America.

I was struck last night listening to our Presidential candidates debate whether health care was a responsibility or a right.  Huh.  I thought the UN decided that sixty years ago with the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, article 25:
"Everyone has the right to a standard of living adequate for the health and well-being of himself and of his family, including food, housing, and medical care and necessary social services, and the right to security in the event of unemployment, sickness, disability, widowhood, old age, or other lack of livelihood in circumstances beyond his control.   Motherhood and childhood are entitled to special care and assistance.  All children, whether born in or out of wedlock, shall enjoy the same protection."

Health care is a basic human right.
Teaching your children the Golden Rule is a responsibility.
Meat on the table is a privilege.

Unfortunately, these basic rights, as outlined in the UN Declaration aren't exercised around the world.  There are many obstacles: lack of resources, lack of knowledge, apathy...  If they were all met, Sunflower would never have to have left Ethiopia.  

My travels have developed a unique perspective within me.  For example, patent leather shoes on an 8 month old baby is not a core human right.  It is an abundant privilege of growing up in America.  In fact, I didn't see shoes of any kind on any child's feet while in Africa (in the villages outside of Addis, anyway).  Here's my perspective: foot covering of some sort=right.  Patent leather baby shoes with bows= privilege.

Sunflower got her first pair of shoes yesterday.  I openly chastised myself in the store about how ridiculous it was to buy a baby a pair of shoes.  What's she going to do, walk outside and check the mail?  But I wanted her to have them.  I want her to have all of her human rights: medical care, sufficient food, potable water, shelter; fulfill all of her responsibilities: try her best in school, use good manners, tell people about Jesus' love, and be a compassionate person; and so many privileges as well: a room to herself, McDonald's french fries, indoor plumbing, a washing machine, her own Bible in her own language, music, dance, and patent leather shoes.

They may not take her very far today, but as she grows and little black church shoes are replaced with tennis shoes for track, sandals for the beach, heels for prom, and cute Mary Janes for nights out with girlfriends, I pray her "feet are shod with the readiness of the Gospel of Peace", that she learns to walk in her Father's footsteps, and that she becomes a bearer of human rights to the least of these all around the world.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was beautiful, Tiffany! So are those little church shoes! Don't forget pedicures. That's another blessed privilege of being an American woman! ;)

K and/or K said...

I landed here by happenstance and I love this post. I share your sentiments exactly. Wow...well said!

Anonymous said...

AMEN!!
Love ya,
Mom

Diane said...

Well written, Thank you.

Anonymous said...

I am not sure if it was just a manner of speech or you really meant it when you wrote that you didn't see shoes of any kind on any child's feet while in Africa. As an Ethiopian woman, who spent the first 25 years in Africa, I can assure you that I did get to wear my first pair of shoes as a child in Africa and the same can be said of all my friends. In fact, I used to be surprised when I saw children who did not have shoes on their feet. If you were in Adis Ababa, I find it hard to believe that you did not see any child wearing shoes. I am sure you were only trying to make a point, but once again, it does not serve Ethiopians well when we propagate the negative stereotypes of abject poverty everywhere, where not even one child has shoes. You did an admirable thing in adopting the two children from ""third world" countries--you do not need to stretch the truth to show what a good deed you did. It reminded me of instances when I hear American missionaries talking about their experiences in Africa to American audiences. I do not recognize the countries they are describing---and I have travelled extensively around Africa! I know Americans like a good sob story in order to give money to a cause, but it is always so funny to see their facs when I introduce myself after the service to the missionaries and tell them I have visited or lived in the country they are serving as missionaries!

Africa is a large continent made up of 53 distinct countries. Most Americans always think of it as one country! My friends from other African countries get really offended when Americans stereotype Africa based on the images and stories of starvation from Ethiopia. If an American goes to Italy, they do not describe their experiences as European experiences. In the same way, going to Ethiopia does not mean that you have experienced Africa. This is just one country, and you will have different and unique experiences in the other 52 countries!

Debbie said...

What an awesome post. I know what you mean about the rights and privileges of us living here. And I love the shoes!!

Debbie

Tiffany said...

Yes, annonymous person, I should have been more specific in saying, "Outside of Addis" I didn't see anyone wearing shoes. I went all the way up to Bahir Dar and south to Lake Langano, saw countless villages, and no children wore shoes in them, even in the markets. I don't see adoption as a "good deed". More a tragic reality that can turn out to be a two way blessing of which I want others to be aware. I'm sorry you've been turned off by how others attempt to raise funds to aid those in need in Africa (I'm not trying to raise any money). Let's pray that those who need aid get it, and that no one is disrespected in the process. I don't know about the rest of Africa, but ETHIOPIA is beautiful and in need of much more aid, support, and compassion.

Anonymous said...

We were shocked at the poverty we saw in Ethiopia, Tiffany. We hadn't traveled outside of the US before our trip to bring home our son, and we were in severe culture shock for days. We never left Addis while we there, and the poverty we saw was startling. Beggars, very ill children alone on the street, crippled elderly persons begging for daily bread, animal rights abuses, knife fights in the streets, and on and on. It brought us to tears. Not only did most of these children not have shoes, they rarely had more than a rag for a shirt and no pants. There were definitely some families doing well in Addis though. We saw them at the airport, and shopping centers. But in the street, the average Ethiopian was trying to make it in extreme poverty. I will never forget it. It changed both me and my husband forever and makes us daily thankful for all we have here in America. This was a beautiful post. Here's to "peaceful feet"! :)

Robyn said...

Oh seriously, I'm not even going to comment on anonymous person b/c my nature is just too mean!

But I will attest that I was with you EVERY step of the way in ET and you are right...outside of Addis...we didn't seem shoes on children (or many adults for that matter). And even in Addis there were many people w/o shoes too. The point isn't shoes...it's right/responsibility/privilege! And you got it! Much love!

Michelle said...

Beautiful post that has left me in tears. I am a blog lurker of yours as we pursue adoptions from Vietnam and Ethiopia. I am slowly deleting blogs I've bookmarked, but yours is really a keeper! Thank you.
Michelle
Putnam, CT

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to let you know how proud of you I am. You have grown into a beautiful woman and wonderful mother. I am counting the days til my visit.
Kisses, Mom

Anonymous said...

i, too, am a blog lurker that stumbled upon yours via many others, but i wanted to let you know that was a beautifully written post.

i believe that the what you said could apply to ANY child, whether they were adopted from afar or not. your wish is simply from a mother to her baby, and that is so special :)

Meggan said...

Perfectly said Tiffany!

Anonymous said...

I have also stumbled on your blog and this post. Thank you so much, it is beautiful and brought tears to my eyes.