Sunday, April 13, 2008

Adoption Speak

I don't get hung up on P.C. speech.  Say "Special education" or "Exceptional child education"; "Black" or "African American".  I don't care. I will say though that my oldest is NOT "Oriental". Things are "oriental", like rugs.  People from that far off continent are "Asian." To those who have called my son, "oriental",  I'm sure you were doing so out of ignorance, not malice, so no harm done.  Please forgive the, "He's not a vase," mumbled under my breath.  Now you know.  


As an adoptive mom I hear all sorts of comments.  And since my kids are usually within earshot, and the comments are often about them, I'm a little more sensitive to what is said, how it's worded, and how it's heard in my kids' ears.  I'm going to assume that most people are simply ignorant.  Adoption is foreign to them, and well-intentioned, good hearted people ask questions and make comments that really aren't appropriate.  This post may shed some light on what I'm talking about. 

Comments we hear at Walmart, restaurants, the park, church, school...:
1. "Are those your real children?"  What I want to say:  "Yes, I leave the fake ones at home." What my kids hear: "Why would someone look at our family and question whether or not I'm a real person?  Why isn't Mommy my real Mommy?"  What the speaker means, and SHOULD say: "Are they biologically your children?"  or "Are you an adoptive family?"  My answer: "Yes, they are ours.  We are an adoptive family."

2. "OH!  Are they adopted?"  What I want to say: "Please, make them feel like more of a freak of nature-ask us if they're part iguana."  What my kids hear: "Wow-people can tell I'm weird just by looking at me from across the room!"  What the speaker SHOULD say: "Are you an adoptive family?"  My answer: "Yes, we are."

*Yes...there's a pattern here.  "Adoptive FAMILY" is a good, P.C. term.  It shines the adoption spotlight on everyone in the family to share equally instead of one kid-the adopted one, often young and insecure-being singled out as being different in front of strangers.

3. "How much did they cost?"  What I want to say, and often do because this one makes me mad: "I don't buy babies.  That's a felony."  What my kids hear: "There is a dollar amount on my worth."  What the speaker SHOULD have asked: "How much are the fees associated with adoption?"  What I would tell you then: "About the same as birthing a baby, without complications, and there is an $11,000 tax credit to help defer some of the expense."  

4. "Aren't you sad you can't have your own children?"  What I want to say, and sometimes do: "These are my OWN children, and are you kidding me? Look at them!  They're AMAZING!  How could I want anyone other than them?!."  What my kids hear: "Please Mommy say that you love us as much as you would love a biological child.  If other people doubt that, maybe we should too."  What the speaker SHOULD have said, PRIVATELY: "Are you sad you couldn't have biological children?"  My answer: "No.  We chose adoption."

5. "They're so lucky to have you!" What I say: "I'm blessed to have THEM."  What my kids hear: "Why are we lucky?  What's so wrong with us that no one else would want us?"  What the speaker SHOULD have said, "What beautiful children!  You are so blessed to be their mom!"My answer then: "Yes, I am!" Besides, I'm a Christian, so luck has nothing to do with it.

6. "I know someone who adopted.  They had to give those kids back because they were so messed up and couldn't adjust."  What I want to say: "Are you SERIOUSLY saying this out loud in front of my children!?"  What my kids hear: "Our adoption isn't permanent; it's subject to my good behavior."  What the speaker SHOULD have said: "I know someone who adopted.  It can have its own challenges."  My response: "Yes, parenting is a big responsibility and it doesn't always turn out like we plan.  But adoption is forever, just like with a biological family."

7. "Do you know his real mom?"  What I want to say, "I am his real mom."  What the kids hear: "I have a real mom?  Who are you then?"  What the speaker MEANT to say to avoid raising my ire: "Do you have contact with their birth families?"  My answer then: "We have limited contact with them, and respect them very much for the loving choice they made."

8. Something along the lines of "Are you babysitting?"  "Are you a foster mom?"  "They don't look like you" (ya think!) or the long stare that says, "What is THIS family situation?"  What I say: "We're an adoptive family."  What the speaker SHOULD have said: nothing. Or-you guessed it- "Are you an adoptive family?"  

9. "You're just like Angelina Jolie!" What I want to say: "No.  I definitely am not.  But if sharing one common cause makes you just like someone else, then I guess I'm her clone, despite my five foot nothing-ness, ponytail and sweat pants in the Walmart aisle."  What the speaker SHOULD have said: Nothing.  I really am tired of this one.  Not that she isn't a great person...I just don't like being compared to anyone, and I certainly don't adopt to be celeb. 

There are countless other odd comments we've received, but those are the big nine, unless it's Tim and Jason with the kids at Walmart.  They get a whole other set of looks and comments! HA!  So my point is, if you see a conspicuous family and want to know more, please consider what those kids will hear when you begin asking questions.  Think if it were your family.  Know that adoptive families have the same amount of love running through them as biological ones, so no...you can't get away with these comments because it won't offend the mom as much as talking about her "real" children.  Those are her "real" children.  They do offend, and they confuse, but they also open the door for education and productive adoption conversation. 

When in doubt, go with, "Are you an adoptive family?" with a big welcoming smile. Leave luck out of it; remember we're all adopted through Jesus, and those kids are our most treasured gifts, so please don't make them squirm in uncomfortability in their grocery carts and set mom up for a long talk in the car on the way home about how we really are a REAL family.  (Yes, I made up that word.)  

Please continue to pray for the sweet set of hands that are not in our family circle yet, but are waiting in Africa.  Hopefully, more details later.

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

Someone once asked us if our daughter liked rice and spoke Chinese. After I told them that she came home from China as a baby. Huh. What do you say to things like that? Sometimes I want to plug her ears and run away to protect her! Good post, Tiffany!

Tiffany said...

Regarding comment #9, wife, (the Angelina Jolie comment).
I must admit that I get compared to Brad Pitt a lot but do not believe that this comparison is adoption related. :)
Timmy D.

Jeanne said...

From a member of an adoptive family - AMEN!!

I too, always cringe when someone asks me if I've ever met my 'real parents'. My answer: Yes, but I've never met my biological parents. Most people don't get it.

Great post though :)

Tiffany said...

Oh that's classic! I'll have to teach my kids that one! Good to hear you back in the good ole' U.S of A.! :)

Jason said...

Great post Tiff. I will never forget the strange stares Tim and I received as we strolled through Walmart shopping for light bulbs:) Ha! Tim that was too funny:) You guys are in our prayers. Talk to you soon,
Jay

Ryan said...

Thanks for posting this, Tiffany. I think a lot of us, as children, get "Don't stare!" as the only response to our natural curiosity, and so we never learn a good way to deal with it...and we grow up to become people who are still curious and have no one to tell us "Don't stare"! I hope this gets a wide reading. I'll definitely keep it in mind as we raise our son and he starts asking curious questions himself.

Becca said...

Saw your comment on Debbie's blog - had to come and visit. I've read through your last few posts and have loved them! (Just last Thursday at Kroger a man rolled down his window as Ella and I were walking into the store and YELLED, "Where is she from? The Philippines?" I had no idea what to say...)Congrats on your aoption news... Hair bows? Maybe you are expecting a girl? I'll be checking back to see if my detective skills are on the mark! Your boys are absolutely beautiful!

Peace and Hugs,
Becca

Alisa said...

Thanks for posting this. We went through infertility before having B, and it's amazing the hurtful things well-meaning people will say when they don't have first-hand experience. I still assume they *are* well-intentioned, as you do - but the education on what to say and what not to say in an unfamiliar situation is helpful.

Debbie said...

Great post, Tiffany. You know we have gotten most or all of those same questions. I try and be polite, smile and answer as best I can, but it can be tough, especially when little ears are listening to what your response is.

James E. Miller said...

Incredibly well said, Tiffany. Thanks for sharing that insight.

It's amazing what some people say out of ignorance. Of course, I have been guilty of putting my foot in my mouth at times.

You gave some wonderful advice.

Becky said...

Good post Tiff!!! You are an AMAZING family and I just LOVE the way you put things....well said!!!

I Love Purple More Than You said...

Great post! I love how you include both your "natural" reactions and the "appropriate" reactions. I always try to remember that because I want to portray adoption in a positive light and educate people, instead of coming across as some "angry adoptive mom with issues".

Anonymous said...

Loved this! Thanks so much for sharing. Still waiting for news of the new little one. Talk to you soon.
Love ya, mom

Debbie said...

Tim took the words out of my mouth, you say when someone compares you to Angelina Jolie, Yeah and my hubby is just like Brad Pitt!!!

Something said in front of Heidy is... She has hair on her top lip!!! Most hispanic women do, But did she need to say that in front of my 4 year old daughter!

PEOPLE!?!?!?!

Sojourning Mom said...

Tiffany, love your blog and your post! BTW, how did you change the background to one more personalized? ~Tera

Tiffany said...

Tera-hope you check for my answer here! ;) Click on the bar at the top of my blog that says, PYZAM.com. There are thousands to choose from there-all free. But BEWARE! Whenever you change a template on blogger you lose all of your widgets (everything you've added to your layout/sidebar). So save all that first because you'll have to re-load it to the new template. I learned that the hard way! Grrrr... Blessings,

Anonymous said...

Hi! i've stumbled onto your blog by way of many other blogs, but I just wanted to let you know that you were spot on with what you said about adoption!

I, too, have been blessed to have children via adoption, and it's the greatest! I also have a biological child, so now, some people who know that my oldest two were adopted, will sometimes mention that I have a "real baby" now, or that I have one bio child, and two adopted children.

That wasn't fake puke, or fake sleepless nights with the first two, sister~that was all REAL!!

And, no, I have three children. period.

Alyson and Ford said...

Thank you for the great post. Very well said.

Alyson LID 01/27/06

Karen said...

number 5 has always been a favourite of my husbands and it always gets his back up. When someone says how wonderful for him (Mario)and for you he will instantly open up but anything else he just considers rude ignorance no matter how well meaning. Love the post as it covers so many of those situations we deal with on a regular basis and the catalgoue of responses that we have tucked away to pull out when needed. Keep well

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

I followed the link from Imagine Alyzabeth An ... what a wonderful post!

Are you familiar with the Bridges blog? They often gave guest bloggers and this is exactly the type of post they are looking for. Would you be willing to have this posted there? If so, please contact me through my blog and I'll let Mel (the editor) know.

Anonymous said...

I like #6--but. . .it could be worse. My daughter's friend adopted a SN Asian daughter w/a black hairy nevus on 25% of her face. First expanders were in and she was ready for 1st surgery (i.e. they were fully expanded) and some redneck in Wally World took one look at her and said in a booming voice "What the HECK is THAT"
I broke into tears when she told me about it. And as I took my Asian granddaughter shopping in the same store while I was visiting, the clerk wanted to know if my daughter was Hispanic. . .frankly, I would like to use some chlorox on the gene pool in that part of her hometown. People aren't cruel so much as thoughtless and ignorant--alhough my mom taught me and I passed it to my daughter that basic manners keep the wheels of society running smoothly--some of which are: that staring is rude and commenting is BEYOND rude. Seems as though a lot of peeps missed THAT message.

Peace to your gorgeous family.

Pat from OH