Sunday, April 20, 2008

Distractions, PLEASE!



Adoption News: None yet.  Sorry.  Please pray that we get news soon, and that the electricity is restored in Ethiopia.  Most of their electricity is hydro-powered, so in the midst of a drought the country gets dark.  Power outages also effect things like fax machines, computers, cell phones, etc... all conveniences that keep the adoption process running on first-world timelines. When those technologies fail, adoption can be severely effected, and for many orphans, time is of the essence.  So please pray that the process runs smoothly, not only for our adoption, but for all of the cases currently trying to meet completion in Ethiopia.



So I've been looking for distractions to get through this insipid wait.  My TMJ is thanking me as since I've let some of this stress go my jaw is staying in its socket and I can eat solid foods. Fudge ripple chocolate frozen yogurt really is only good so many days in a row!  :) I leave Wednesday for the best distraction of all: four days with my best girlfriends in the mountains of Georgia.  Functional jaw or not, nothing could keep me from this kid-free vacation of red wine, shopping, laughter and bliss with my sisters.  And since I've been distraction searching, I've come to love some new things.  Here's five of them.  What do you think? Hate them or love them???
1. Chinese buffet donuts.  You know- the round ones the size of a child's palm covered in white sugar.  Yum.

2. The Starbuck's Americano.  Only 15 calories, espresso shots, and brewed really hot.  Wake up without the guilt.  

3. Crocheting.  My grandma taught me how to do it.  I'm terrible at it, but determined to make blankets for new baby.  It's kind of addicting, peaceful, and when you're done, you've MADE something!  Tim would say I've made A LOT of something.  OK-I've done a crazy amount of crocheting lately...

4. Our new patio.  Now the boys can play outside, we can bar-b-que and entertain all dog free thanks to to the patio and the fence that we had installed around its perimeter. Makes for cute pictures too (see above)!

5. Latin literature and film.  I was stuck in India and South Asia for a long time!  Rushdie and Lahiri are fabulous, but I forgot the genius of the Latin hyperbole and realized metaphor that Gabriel Garcia Marquez masters and films like, Like Water for Chocolate are famous for. Fabuloso!

7 comments:

TheGlissonFamily said...

Such sweet pictures of you with your boys! We are thinking of your family during this time of waiting and praying for peace for you. I'm glad you've at least found a few distractions to keep your mind off the unknown. Have a great weekend with your girlfriends--those are always so much fun!
Rebekah

Debbie said...

I hope you all have a great several days in Georgia! I am sending the foot spa and and parrafin spa for your hands with Melanie !! Enjoy!!

I am praying for peace!!

Debbie

Alisa said...

Praying that you will get some news soon. I love the pictures of you & your boys, and can't wait to see baby #3 join you all.

Anonymous said...

You look bee-u-tee-ful! :) Chinese doughnuts-love them. Latin lit.-who has time to read? J/K. When I have time though, it's one of my favorites. Thinking of you during this time,

Anonymous said...

You and the boys look wonderful! I really like the new fence. So much fun to be able to enjoy a bar-b-que and sunshine in your own backyard. Can't wait to get news about little one #3. Have fun with the girlfriends. You all deserve a weekend break so enjoy....enjoy... enjoy!
Love ya,
Mom

Anonymous said...

Love the little donuts, love the Americano-though I think only people accustomed to Euro.coffee can stomach it. Love Like Water For Chocolate. Who doesn't? It brings back so many high school slumber party memories! That shows my age, doesn't it? Hope you gets news soon!

Jenny Reijgers said...

o.k., i'm anxious to hear about and see your baby #3 so i can only imagine how anxious you're feeling. At least you have 2 adorable little boys to keep you busy, boys are really good at that.