That was the question our music teacher, Mrs. Barth, posed to us in 3rd grade. Like any self-respecting huddle of 3rd graders, we called her Mrs. Barf. She taught me piano for awhile, and outside of the classroom, she wasn't so bad. Anyway, I remember when I felt like I'd won a million donuts when I was the only one who could answer her question. Donuts are yummy, but it's bad to have a million of them, and it was disastrous to my reputation (at least for that day) to reveal to my peers that I knew that much about not only orchestral instruments, but country music. Oh well-we're products of our raising, I guess. Now that I think of it, I still get made fun of for listening to some of this music! But I listen to other genres as well-don't worry!
The answer to the title question, as I'm sure you know, is that they are the same instrument.
But as an adult who for some reason is really drawn to folk and bluegrass lately-maybe because of places I've lived..., I know that isn't really true. They aren't the same. I knew this not to be true even when I played the violin. When I played Mozart, it did NOT sound the same as a guy I dated who played the Orange Blossom Special.
This difference is epitomized in the fiddler for The Old Crow Medicine Show. I love these guys! This video is of Wagon Wheel-the old Bob Dylan tune-but they reworked it and added lyrics. I love them because they are young, funky (click on the 2nd related video in line that comes up after this clip is over and you'll get a better taste of them, but the official video for this song didn't seem totally...appropriate... for the blog!) They cross genres, harmonize, and the fiddler is a FIDDLER, not a classically trained violinist trying to pass as a fiddler like so many young players in string bands now. Here's a comparison:
VIOLINISTS:
1. Violin is held high on the shoulder with chin on the chin rest.
2. Fingering wrist is straight under the neck.
3. Rosin is cleaned off of the instrument after every song.
4. Bow hold is delicate with pinky on frog.
5. Vibrato. Lots and lots of vibrato...
6. Play one string at a time, unless music marks otherwise.
FIDDLERS:
1. Violin is in front of them so they can see what they're doing.
2. Fingering wrist is bent into the neck.
3. Rosin cakes everything and bow hairs fly loose.
4. They tend to clutch the bow like a stick.
5. No vibrato.
6. That "fiddle" sound comes from playing more than one string at a time.
*In summary: violin-neat and tidy. Fiddle-sloppy and messy.
They are not the same. And I love them both.
Another funny thing about this song: My boys love it. They request it in the car, "Rock me, Momma!" Obviously, they are gleaning an entirely different meaning from the chorus than OCMS intended, but that's the loveliness of children...innocence. And I'm blessed to have two beautiful boys-one who is becoming quite the little cellist-who still love to be rocked by their mommy.








4 comments:
you know them? i love them! i didn't think anyone else i knew would have ever heard of ocms! that fiddler is adorable! great post, tiff.
Loved it! This is your mama's music. Does J have his cello yet? Kiss the boys for me.
Mom
I like Bluegrass music too!! But I am from KY originally and I think you have to like it if you are from KY!!! :-) Great post!!
Debbie
Hey there! :) Could you send me an email so i can save your email to my address book? Oh and I found my bracelet! yea!
Post a Comment