Mstislav Rostropovich.
I have a trunk of Tiffany memorabilia. Sounds fascinating, I know. But in that trunk among a marriage tea set that was given to me in Japan by a Japanese friend before I married Tim; a dried rose from high school that an artist gave me in an Italian restaurant in Montmatre, Paris; some love notes from elementary school; and a stuffed teddy bear my grandma gave me that says, "You're my guardian angel" when you press his tummy, there is a St. Louis Symphony ticket stub from 2000 that says, "Mstislav Rostropovich."
I went to that concert alone. (Dad didn't want to go; long classical music perfomances aren't his thing, and Tim was in basic training.) I sat in the 6th row, center, and I remember breathing very little, blinking even less, and thinking it was nice that I was alone. I didn't have to share my attention with anyone. Sitting alone, so close, on those red velvet seats, I was afraid shifting my legs would disrupt him. HIM. Slava. The one for whom Shostakovich wrote concertos. The one who was kicked out of Russia for standing up against communism, and played the cello with just as much defiant force. It was a powerful evening.
Rostropovich died today at age 80. He led a full life, and contributed much. He will be missed.
Here are some links if you care to hear him. The first link is Rostropovich playing the Bach prelude. It is the piece from which you know you have arrived as a cellist; the first of the difficults. He, of course plays it better than me, and arguably better than anyone, though most would say Yo Yo Ma owns the Bach suites.
The second link probably requires Real Player on your computer, but it is of Rostropovich playing an exerpt of the piece composed for him by Shostokovich, the Shostokovich cello concerto. Even Yo Yo Ma said of the Shostokovich at first hearing, "It is physically impossible to play". I agree. Though Yo Yo eventually mastered it, I never got beyond the first five bars.
Rostropovich died today at age 80. He led a full life, and contributed much. He will be missed.
Here are some links if you care to hear him. The first link is Rostropovich playing the Bach prelude. It is the piece from which you know you have arrived as a cellist; the first of the difficults. He, of course plays it better than me, and arguably better than anyone, though most would say Yo Yo Ma owns the Bach suites.
The second link probably requires Real Player on your computer, but it is of Rostropovich playing an exerpt of the piece composed for him by Shostokovich, the Shostokovich cello concerto. Even Yo Yo Ma said of the Shostokovich at first hearing, "It is physically impossible to play". I agree. Though Yo Yo eventually mastered it, I never got beyond the first five bars.









2 comments:
Tiffany, I will listen to both. I still remember when I was working nights and sleeping days while you and your brother were at school. I would wake to you playing your cello in the basement and filling the house with music. I could tell what kind of day you had by the music that you played. I miss hearing you play. Love you, Mom
He was the master, and Yo Yo can never be what he was. Nice post.
Post a Comment