Friday, April 13, 2007

Gone again

(Thanks for taking our impromptu family photos, Sara!) Tim left this morning for this year's big deployment, and everything went off without a hitch until. . . Tim couldn't find his badge. Cool shiny things tend to disappear around here, like keys, cell phones, and top secret special agent badges. Tim finally found it in a Tonka dump truck in the toy box about 2:00 am. I wonder how it got there? Good thing he was up anyway trying to finish all of his grad. school homework for the next week or two!

We've spent the past few days explaining to the boys that Daddy has to go to work for a long time. Here's some snippets of our conversations with J. lately:

J.: "Ouch! No kiss!"
Tim: "I have to grow out the scratchy beard for work, Judah, but I'll kiss you really gentle so it won't hurt."
J., holding up three fingers: "Daddy gone three days?"
Tim: "A LOT of days. More fingers than you have."
J.: "Daddy jump out airplane?"
Tim: "The plane will land, J. Daddy's not going to jump this time."
J.: "Judah go A'stan. J. go airplane."
Tim (ignoring my, "see what you've started?" glare): "J., you have to stay here and take care of C. and Mommy. You have to be the little man, OK?"
J.: "Yes, Daddy. Li'l man."
We told them that while we wait for Daddy to come home we'll get to go see Papa and Mimi, Lolah, Uncle Steve, Great Grandma and Great Grandpa, and Granny.
So, the day arrived, and we dropped Tim off on base in the pouring rain. Immediately the boys started crying, "No want Dada go A'stan! Daddy home. No want A'stan!" I re-explain it all: he'll be back; he has to go to work; you have to be strong little men and help Mommy take care of the house; we'll visit grandparents, etc. They calm down a bit, and then J. starts, "Papa's house. Night-night in the car? Go Papa's house?" And C. starts "Laloh! Laloh!" (how he says, "Lolah"). I tell them that that trip isn't planned for a couple of months yet; they need to finish school first. Then the tears start going again. . . "Papa's house! No want Daddy go!" Urg.









An hour later, peacefully at home:
Tim calls from the green ramp. He forgot his laptop charger. Can I bring it to him?

You're kidding?

I load everyone back into the car, with the laptop charger. Expectedly, J. asks, "Long time all done? Daddy home?"
"No, long time is not done." We repeat steps 1-3 from above, suffer more screaming, crying and confusion, but they are now thankfully sleeping soundly in their room. Whew!
We'll miss you, Timmy! Be safe.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

The pictures are beautiful! I am so sorry that the boys have to go through this. I know that it is hard for them to understand. Tell Caleb that "Laloh" can't wait to see him either. Tim, you are in our prayers for a safe return and Tiff you are in our prayers that you and the boys are safe. Love you all so much, Lolah

Debbie said...

Wonderful pictures! Those will be great to enjoy while Tim is away.

Those deployment goodbyes can be so tough. It is so hard for little ones to understand. I understand and it is till tough and my guy doesn't go away for such long periods.

Extra prayers for safety for Tim and peace and comfort for you and the boys.

Karen said...

Travel safe and hope that whatever the length of time Tim is away goes quickly and he is soon back with his 2 l'il men. It must be tough on you all but you have plenty of things planned and lots to look forward to in that time. The boys seem to be growing up so quickly are looking like cheeky monkeys. I know coz we have one in our house too with that same special smile. Take care.

Melanie said...

Only a military Mom/wife would understand why going back to see your man one more time after you have done the whole good-bye scene can be frustrating!!!! You guys will be in our prayers. We will be doing this same thing in a few weeks. Love you guys and miss you!

Tiffany Rose said...

I don't know how you went back! James forgot his laptop charger as well when he left and wanted me to bring it. After 5hrs of goodbyes over and over again, I couldn't do and sent a friend to do it for me!
Sorry I've missed you these past few weeks. I won't be there THIS Sun. either. I'm going to the beach with a couple girlfriends this week. Got your invite to the Ladies Faith and Stuff. I'm looking forward to going when I actually have a free Friday to go! :)