
It seems these two were a bit notorious at the orphanage for being, well..."all boy."
Here they are climbing around and eating in a couple of shots that were captured for J.'s Life Book that the orphanage put together for us.

Mario and his teddy, "Leonard":
We are so blessed to have an adoption support community-via the world wide web. We are a part of a yahoo group made up of families from around the world who have, and are, adopting children from the Philippines. It was from this group that we learned specific timelines for paperwork, how to make USCIS work for you
, the details of attachment disorders, what hotels in Manila are within walking distance of the Embassy, and just pure encouragement when the waiting and red tape seemed endless.
Another huge benefit from this group is that sometimes, children from the same orphanage are adopted by parents who are both members of the group. God's hand has been on J. from the day he was born, clearly, and this is no more evident than in his friendship with little Mario. (Don't you love those chubby cheeks!) J. and Mario were best buds at their orphanage. They both spent months together at this orphanage, and though a year apart in age, they had no trouble getting into trouble together! They were inseparatable from what we can tell, and there were several pictures of J. and Mario playing together in the Life Book that the nuns put together for me when I met Judah to bring him home. In the greatest miracle of all, God delivered families to Manila to pick up each of these boys within seven days of each other, so neither boy was left behind for long.
A couple of months after J. came home, I saw a post on the yahoo group that said, "the parents of J.." A wonderfully sweet couple, Peter and Karen from Canberra, Australia, brought Mario to his forever a week before I brought J. home. On a whim, Karen decided to check the group to see if "J's" parents were members. Lo and Behold- we were, and we have been in contact ever since.
It was so amazing to share stories about the boys. How they both are mischievious in the same way, how they both came home signing, "all done" the same way, how Mario named his teddy bear after our son immediately after coming home, and how J. points out Mario in his Life Book with a look of love and loss. We share pictures regularly now, and J. laughs with delight to see Mario show up on the computer screen. (See above) Those two share a bond that few of us do with another human being. Though babies, God put them together as a source of joy in an otherwise tragic time. I don't know if J. still gets "homesick" for his Philippine caretakers, but I can tell from his reaction to Mario's pictures that he misses him. Hopefully, one day, we can get those two together again. Tim and I certainly wouldn't argue against a trip to Australia in a few years! In the meantime, we're encouraged by God's providence even for the littlest of His creation. He shines a ray of sunshine out there for all of us, and for a time in J.'s life, his sunbeam was named Mario.
You can visit Peter, Karen and Mario's blog by clicking on "J.'s friend, Mario" in the right hand margin of this page.
Saturday, June 24, 2006
My friend, Mario
Posted by Tiffany at 2:43 PM
Labels: adoption, Philippines Adoption
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)








3 comments:
Tiffany, this is wonderful!! I can see the joy in Judah's face as he looks at his friend. I am so happy for Judah and Mario. I got tears in my eyes when I read this. I love you all so much, Lolah
This is the most beautiful entry and it brought tears to my eyes. I have shared it with my family but more importantly with Mario. While words are not forthcoming the look on his face when he saw Judah showed recognition and he reached out to touch the photo. When I said Judahs name he cuddled in to me and rested his head like he was going to sleep. There must be some form of significance to that. Karen
What a wonderful gift for your boys to be able to grow up and keep in touch with friends on the other side of the planet! Tiff, I know the Lord is proud of you and your family.
God bless,
Post a Comment