Friday, March 10, 2006

Who will they be?

"Train a child in the way that he should go, and when he is old, he
will not depart from it."
Proverbs 22:6.





I have heard this verse interpreted to bear emphasis on the word he, therefore rendering the meaning to say that all children have a different road to walk; a different spiritual gift, a different God-given talent. Then it is the responsibility of the parents to identify and nurture that gift so that each child uses it as God intended. If a child is the star debator, the parents may lead him down roads of public speaking, preaching, teaching, or politics. If the child is mathamatical, the parents may lead the child down roads of logic, problem solving, and money management.

I have also heard this passage interpreted with the emphais on the word should, therefore saying that there is only one way we all should go-the way of God. "Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path," Psalm 119:105. It is a parent's responsibility to lead her children down the Way, the lighted Way, and when the children are old, they will remember how to get there and how to navigate through its obstacles. Exegetically, I lean toward the second interpretation. But, there is definately Biblical evidence elsewhere to prove that we are all given different spiritual gifts. (See 1 Corinthians). They may not be the gifts our parents hoped for us, or even the ones we want. I mean, Moses plead a good case to God NOT to be the one to lead His people out of Egypt. "Oh Lord, I have never been eloquent...I am slow of speech and tongue," was the gist of his argument. But he went anyway.

As parents, we have a responsibilty to help our children find their place, find the reason God put them here. Surely it's too early to say that C. will be a mechanic or an engineer, and J. will be a doctor (or a vet since he doesn't go anywhere without pulling that duck behind him!) Though wouldn't it be nice... :) It is fascinating to watch them live their days, however, and monitor in what activities they seek and succeed. I wonder, "What will they be?" And I try to remember that, Lord willing, they will be who He has predetermined.
By the way, the above pics are of
*C. with Tim waxing and tuning up his Land Rover just before he deployed.
*J. with the Dr. kit we got him so he would be better prepared for the extensive Dr. visits he would go to. He loves to play Dr. with his animals. I told him that the monkey needed medicine, so he gave him some Cheerios! That was after the vaccine to the head, which must have worked, because he laughed and laughed about it! I was impressed that he could be so light hearted about vaccines today considering he had to get 6 of them Wednesday to begin getting him caught up to American vaccination standards. He goes back in 8 weeks for more.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tiff, these are wonderful. He looks so happy. Caleb and daddy look good too. I am so glad that all is going well for both your wonderful boys. I love you, Lolah

Anonymous said...

You have two very handsome boys! We love you all.

Heather

Melanie said...

How I wish all the commune kiddos could play together - maybe one day!!!! We would have a full house wouldn't we!!!! Love ya~ Melanie