Sure, they look innocent enough, stoic, even reaching for Walt Whitman and Shakespeare over "Bear in the Big Blue House" and "Clifford", just as any children of mine should. But, what a week!

A Dozen Things I’ve Learned This Week as a Mother
(and one positive bit)
1. They don’t make door knobs like they did in the 70’s. I remember using a paperclip as a kid to pop open a door when Steve would lock me out. Just unwind, push, turn, and pop! It’s open! Now, a person has to take off the entire door knob, find a piece of metal that is shaped like a flat head screw driver-but smaller-push it through the interior slot (without knocking the doorknob still in tact on the other side through the hole), turn with all your might, and then. . . POP! It’s open.
2. When you think you’ve punished your toddler so severely for locking all the door knobs on the inside, then shutting the doors, that he’ll never THINK to do it again, he’ll do it again. Just after you’ve put them all back together.
3. “X” says, “ksss” (according to the powers that be behind fridge phonics). And here, all these years as an English major, I thought it said, “zzzz” as in xylophone.
4. Six month old babies can talk back. You might not understand a word they say, but you know it’s ugly.
5. If, after putting the baby to sleep, you decide to relax for a few minutes by running a huge bubble bath, bubbles up to your chin, drinking a cup of coffee, and reading a great novel, like the Nobel Prize winning author Gabriel Garcia Marquez’s A Hundred Years of Solitude, and your toddler tries to catch all the bubbles in your tub to blow them back at you, and you think to yourself, “He’ll probably fall in. It’s really slippery, and that’s a long reach,” he will. Fall in, that is. Head first, fully clothed, and with a poopy diaper.
6. Even if you aren’t quite yet 30, flipping, tossing, squatting, carrying, twirling, and otherwise horse playing with your twenty-something pound children will not only put you in great shape, it’ll throw out your shoulder.
7. Scary sounds and scary people aren’t as scary if you wave “good-bye” to them.
8. If it’s dark, your husband is gone, you hear loud pounding noises, and you think someone is breaking in, don’t grab a weapon. It’s most likely your son whose locked himself in a room this time, and is trying to pound his way out with a plastic duck.
9. Peas can be spit further than squash.
10. If you want the soundtrack of your life to sound more like a horror movie starring crazed dolls with machetes, let the batteries run down on all the toys. You’ll get “The Intzy Weenzy Spider”, “Twinkle Twinkle Little Star”, and “Rubber Duckie, You’re the One,” all playing at once, very low and slow. It’ll be just like your bad dreams from the night before never ended when the music begins to play before your first cup of coffee. It’s magical.
11. Even if you call it “juice”, water it down, put it in their favorite cup with a twisty straw, and say that everybody loves it, V-8 is still a vegetable at which to be scowled and refused.
12. You think you’re doing things right, though you wonder, when you see your toddler making his stuffed monkey sign, “Yes, Ma’am” after being told to repent for some unthinkable unape-ish infraction.
Ohhh, what a week. . .
The Positive Bit: There’s no day that a glass of “Mommy Juice”, a huge plate of nachos, and Bernie Mac at 7:30 can’t make better.
Tuesday, March 28, 2006
A Dozen Lessons
Posted by Tiffany at 3:00 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)








7 comments:
Tim, Can't wait til you are home experiencing all these wonderful moments. Take care of yourself and hurry home. Love you, Mom #2
Tim and Tiff,
It happened again. Every year at the Workshop like clockwork someone approaches me to talk about all the fun we at York College. It always throws me off for a few seconds. I try in vain to remember who this person is, and then I realize, "they think I' Tim." This time her name was Grace, and she said to tell you guys hi. I told her about your web-site, so maybe she is reading this. Hi Grace. My favorite memory along these lines was at your wedding, when Tiff's Grand dad invited me and Tiff down for the weekend to visit. I am still waiting to go.
Tom
Phil 4:13
Tom,
Very funny! I got your message the other night. I don't know what I was doing at the time, but I wasn't answering the phone! :) Yes, we know Grace. Amazing Grace, we called her. By the way, I vote for Talent over Thea. :) Love ya!
Tiff
Oh wow! I can't imagine... You should wear a tiara around the house to remind yourself that You're Mommy of the YEar!! Yeah for "Mommy Juice"!
Hi Tiff, can hardly wait to see those angels ? of yours. Brings back lots of memories, are you planning to add another? Three is even more fun. Would not say this if I was close enogh for you to get me. Love you guys Granny
Tiff, Your stories always make us laugh! I cannot wait for Tim to experience some of this! I will never forget when Tim showed up at my house with Christian after an afternoon at the park and Christian was soaked up to his waist after falling in the pond at the park!!! He didn't care at all - he just wanted to tell me about all the things he did with Uncle Tim! We are headed to Switzerland for a week - we will catch up with your blog when we get back! Hug the boys for us! We miss you all!
Tiff,
I am always a bit late reading your blogs, but I ALWAYS laugh at your commentaries! Thay are hilarious! Even more funny are the ones that I can relate to, like the toys sounding like nightmares when they run low on batteries! I have walked around the house on my hands and knees thinking we had something wrong to find out it was just Muck from "Bob the Builder" with a very low battery that was a constant ringing sound! AHHH! It's funny to laugh about these things though! Cherish them!! Love you!
Post a Comment