Monday, September 15, 2008

Little Men






The boys aren't babies anymore, to my despair, though it is wonderful to see them become little men, cooking, picking out their own clothes, asserting their opinion at every turn, and manipulating situations to their advantage.  They are as different as night and day, but at their core, they are both sweet hearted, compassionate, and fun people.  C. is rougher, more easily distracted, quicker in mind and body, and much more easy going.  J. is contemplative, innocent, immensely kind and nurturing, and hard headed.  He has a contagious, outrageous laugh that melts me.


When I was in high school, an adult mentor of mine was dying of breast cancer.  I will always remember when she invited myself and the other Senior girls out to the ball field at Camp Ne-O-Tez in the middle of the night to "talk about God."  The image most grafted into my memory from that night is of her weeping in THANKSGIVING to God, on her knees, with her arms stretched upward, fireflies all around her so that we could clearly see her, and her yelling to the Heavens, "Thank you, God, for letting me live long enough to see my son turn five, so I know what kind of man he will be."  She died not long after.

I look at J. now, who just turned five, and I agree. There's a lot of growing up to do beyond the age of five, but by five, many things are clear: His strengths, weaknesses, strongest characteristics, adaptability, and deep rooted nature...  I'm so thankful that God has allowed me the privilege of being able to stay home with him, to mold him and guide him, and to see what kind of man he will be.  Some of those traits I love, some I wish he didn't have because they're too much like me.  But overall, he's an amazing little man, and I thank God for every day I have with him.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a sweet post. I hate seeing mine get older! I think I'm one of those women who will always want a baby around! We have such a great job raising young men in Christ, and with prayer, I know we'll make it!

Andrea said...

I constantly find myself "mourning" the "loss" of my babies as they grow. I truly wish I could just appreciate the moment and look forward to the future instead of always missing the past. It is something I am constantly working on.

I,too,spend lots of time loving my girls' most admirable traits. I am often extremely hard on myself as a mother for seeing the worst in me reflected in them. I hate that I have passed on some of my worst habits and characteristics, but try to constantly remind myself of the good things I have given them as well.

FYI, i adore C's smile...it is absolutely contagious! One can't help but get happier just seeing his face!

Becky said...

I love the picture of you with all 3 kids!! They are all SO precious in their own way!!!

Anonymous said...

As a grandma I couldn't be more proud of my grandbabies! They truly are gifts from God and answers to prayers.
Love you all,
Mom

Christine Short said...

Love all of these pictures! I mourn my boys growing older too. Since we're on the subject of pictures, I noticed it's time for you to change your profile picture. Add another beautiful hand to your circle!

Karen said...

I love seeing Mario grow and become the individual that he is. I see many of mine and Peters traits rubbing off. You are right, some are good and some are not so good (or at least we perceive them to be that way). I also know how much I am like my parents and it seems more obvious the older I get even after 20+ years of being away from home. Makes you wonder what is in store for Mario. Something to watch as he becomes the man he will be.

Bradford L. Stevens said...

Amazing how Camp Neotez molded so many lives in the image of the one who made us. You are a testimony to faith Tiffany. I am so very proud of you and your family.

God bless,

P.S. Send me Stephen's contact info!

Debbie said...

What a great post!! I think it is so true too, by the time our kids are 5 we should know what their stongest points and weakest areas are.

Debbie

Anonymous said...

Tiffany,
You don't know me. I came upon your blog, via Brad Stevens. We are former members of McKnight Road. I was touched by your mention of the woman dying with cancer. I wondered if by chance it was V.D? If so, her son is a wonderful man of God today. If you were referring to someone else, it is still a beautiful story. Are you familiar with the song,"Let them be Little?" Enjoy your little ones --all too soon they will be grown with little ones of their own. But, that is another great joy. Judy

Tiffany said...

Judy,
I WAS referring to V.D.! She was an amazing woman. How encouraging to know that her son grew to be a young man true to the praises she sang of him when he was five! That is a wonderful song, by the way. Thanks for stopping by our blog! Blessings,