Our bestest friends, yes, our "commune" friends who aren't really a part of an actual commune, of course, though we've talked about how nice it would be to at least all live in the same town again... sent Sunflower the SWEETEST gift this week!
Each of the eight families chose fabric that "spoke Africa" to them, had the children of the family decorate it, and wrote an Ethiopian proverb on it. They were then all sown together in a quilt, and it's gorgeous! By the way, THANK YOU, QUEEN! Your sewing skills have made the commune a much more beautiful place over the years!
From the hand-drawn cross that matches the Ethiopian one in Sunflower's nursery (quite an impressive feat you know if you've ever worked with fabric marker as a medium!), to the Amharic that was written on it, the sweet child drawings, the funny, sentimental, and wise proverbs, and a certain old spiritual hymn's lyrics that are stitched around the edges, it's the perfect gift. She'll treasure it always!










6 comments:
The quilt is absolutely beautiful! Way to go Queen and Robyn! Sunflower looks like she loves the camera!!!! I love the headband!! I'm glad we were able to be a part of such a special gift! Love you guys!
The quilt is wonderful. What a thoughtful thing to do and it will mean even more as time goes by. Hope you all are in the same place again so sunflower can get to know the special people that put this neat gift together.
Love you all
Mom
I'm glad you like it. The design in the center of each block that I had my mom quilt in I chose specifically b/c it reminded me of parts of the Lalibella crosses that I loved. And, of course, the big surprise was the words stitched into the edging! ;-) Thought you'd LOVE that! Miss you!
What a beautiful gift!
They are all so beautiful! They look like they have bonded for life! we love the new picture at the top of the blog! We finally get what you were talking about when you realize that you are outnumbered by your children! But it is fun! We love the quilt - gold stars for Queen and RaRa! We miss you!
Love,
Sara
I knew about this!!! I am so glad you like it!!
Debbie
Post a Comment