I'm speaking at a women's conference here in a couple of months and had to have pictures of me by myself for the flyer. I didn't have any of me alone...imagine that! Anyway, hence the goofy photo. It went about as well as the picture below: "No, C.-look here! And smile!"

1. Loving, dressing, feeding, educating, disciplining, cleaning and cuddling my two boys.
2. Un-packed (once my luggage came home after it's scenic route home)
3. Re-packed a suitcase full of aid for Sunflower's orphanage and transition home in Ethiopia
4. Re-packed a suitcase for me (clothes, a backpack, shampoo, etc...)
5. Started to pack a suitcase for Sunflower and realized we had nothing to put in it!
6. Friends sent clothes, and we went shopping to fill the empty suitcase with these bizarre tiny outfits that are pink with flowers and bows and lace on them. Nope-no blue bulldozers on these onsies!
7. Re-located bottles, formula holders, portable diaper changing pads, the diaper bag, diaper rash creme, pacifiers, etc... that was stashed away since C. quit using them.
8. THEN I packed Sunflower's suitcase. Might I say too, it is strange to pack a suitcase to check on a plane for a child that will only be a part of the return trip. "No, I really am allowed this extra free luggage. No, the baby isn't here NOW, but she's on the ticket-see? And she's coming home with me in a week, so she gets the checked luggage."
9. Tried to grasp the fact that we have a DAUGHTER coming HOME in a WEEK!
10. Painted, stenciled, hung curtains, and put up baby furniture in the nursery.
11. Filled out the DS-230 and the I-864 for my Embassy appointment in Addis on the 29th. FYI, if you haven't done your I-864, give yourself a week for this one; it's a monster!
12. Changed thousands of dollars into "Smaller bills, please, and all 2004 or newer in good condition" because that's all Ethiopia will change due to counterfeiting problems. Try it out-that sentence will make your bank teller smile too!
13. Re-confirmed tours, hotels, and transportation in Ethiopia.
14. Make 140 Thank You bookmarks for members of my church who supported the Burma mission.
15 Recorded a Burma end report on video at church for Sunday.
16.Found childcare for the boys while I'm in Ethiopia. Rachel, "Thank You" doesn't even begin to cover it, but "THANK YOU!!!"

17. Answered C. reassuringly, all 100 times throughout the day, when he says, "Mommy, I'M your baby C. I'M a baby!" (So far, he's adjusting the least to the idea of a new baby, but we expected that. He's a little...well... some say spoiled; I say loved!)
18. Attempted to convince my body that it's noon when it's noon, not midnight.
19. Finished Sunflower's baby blanket; I'm putting the finishing ruffles on it as I type-
20. Did NOT capture "little mouse" that has decided to make our fireplace his new home. That's what we get for building a house on an old tobacco field...
************************************************************************************

I leave TOMORROW for Ethiopia to meet and bring home Sunflower! Please pray for safety, smooth transition, and quick attachment on her part. She has changed primary caretakers 3 times (about to be 4) in her short five months of life, so attachment strategies are soon to be implemented to the fullest to help guarantee that she attaches to us as Mom and Dad and avoids any attachment related problems later in life. Did you know that once a child truly attaches to a caretaker, he or she can then easily (with time) re-attach to another caretaker? But if the child never attached to anyone (some say by 6 months of age), then he or she may never be able to attach to a caretaker. Attachment is related to brain chemistry and neurological connections; not just emotion.
So ,it is vital that she attach to us quickly. That's why we may say, "I'm sorry, you can't hold and feed the baby." Only her primary caretakers, Tim and I, the people she MUST attach to, will be able to meet any of her needs until she "gets" we are Mom and Dad and attaches to us. It's not personal; it's just part of adoption!
J. had an advantage here because even though he came home when he was older, he had fully attached to his caretakers at the orphanage and was there for over a year before he came home. He went through grief and loss when he came home, but then easily attached to us. Though, we welcome your loving words and gazes toward her, thoughts, prayers, and even gifts! :) Thanks to all of you who have sent stuff in the mail and who have prayed for this process and for Sunflower's health to hold until we get her home and evaluated here. It's almost over!
Of course, I'll update when I get home, and once again, see you in 10 days!









10 comments:
Wishing you safe travel and health for both of you! I am so excited to see pictures of you holding your new little girl. Congrats!
I am in tears of happiness for you!!! Praying for a safe journey and can not wait to hear you're home with your new baby girl!!!
Safe travels. Can't wait to see my little granddaughter in her mothers arms. C will adjust but it may take awhile. I am sure that J will be a big help. Love to all of you and I will check on the boys while you are gone. Hurry home, Kisses, Mom
You know how much we love you. We will send lots of virtual hugs and kisses to Miss Sunflower!!!! Safe travels!
What an exciting time! Many prayers for your safe travels, baby's health, and the rest of your family as well.
I can't wait to see your precious little girl. I am so happy for you, Tim and the boys to be experiencing this wonderful time in your life. I'm sure that your body is ready for a rest but the adrenaline of seeing that precious little face in person I'm sure is keeping you going strong.
Our thoughts are love are with the whole family and look forward to hearing about your journey and seeing new photos of your precious angel
Tiffany, you know how excited I am for you!!! I can't wait to get to "meet" your little sunflower!!!
Debbie
Prayers have been and are continuing to be lifted up for you and your family! Looking forward to your first post upon your return.
God bless,
Your family is gorgeous! We are also adopting from Ethiopia and I love love love to stalk similar blogs. So, you have been stalked (in a very nice sort of way). ha ha.
Post a Comment