Monday, October 01, 2007

Peek-A-Boo, it's October!

October...

Thus begins my favorite season-autumn. Hopefully, the temperature will drop from the eighties we're still experiencing here, rain will fall, and we'll be blessed with some cool rainy autumn nights so that I can sit on my screened-in porch with a cup of tea and good poetry (Frost or Neruda or Yates...) listening to the rain until the wee hours of the morning. Ahhh...heaven.

(Side Note: baby gates are intended to keep babies out of rooms. This is an unmet goal in our house, except when they both try to climb over at once and realize that they can't swing their legs with the other one sitting there. They find themselves stuck. I won't tell you how long I let them sit there. Let's just say that I enjoyed lunch this day without any little hands reaching for food off of my plate...)
October is also AIDS Awareness month, Hispanic Heritage Month, National Book Month, and National Popcorn Popping Month.

We're in Ramadan right now; Eid is on the 12th. Happy Eid all you Muslims. I think the Jewish holiday Sukkot fell at the end of Sept. this year. We Christians have what this month...Halloween? And let's not forget Columbus Day. There's nothing like overtaking a country from the natives to show brotherly love. Oh, I crack myself up...

Good thing October is also Sacrasm Awareness Month. Finally, a month for me.

The 17th is the Day for the Eradication of Poverty. If that happens in a day, please let me know. I'll begin looking to the skies for Jesus' return on the 18th, which also happens to be Bald and Free Day.

While we're in the spirit of this, let's invent one called, "Don't Buy Your Kids Toys Because They'd Rather Have Fun in a Box Day".

The 2nd is Name Your Car Day; the 7th is World Smile Day, and the 21st is Count Your Buttons Day. Those are real. Really. Look it up.

The Full Moon is on the 25th, and Daylight Savings Time doesn't roll around until Nov. 4th this year.

With enough prayer and heavenly intervention, we may be able to add Burmese Independence Day to the list, though Gambari doesn't seem to be having much success with diplomatic negotiations as of yet.

What other holidays are in October? Timmy Comes Home Day! I can't say on the world wide web on which day we will celebrate this momentous occassion, but barring any unforeseen circumstances, we are in the final month of living as a family separated. There is a light shining brightly at the end of this lonely tunnel, and November will be met with a family reunited.



Enjoy your October, and don't forget to name your car, eat some tacos-after sundown or after the 12th if your Muslim, smile, read a book, count your buttons, kiss your spouse home from war, and oh yes...end global poverty.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jealous, oh so jealous, of your month of October. But, glad to know that Timmy will be home safe and sound. Can't wait to hear about the progress of Baby #3. Love you guys! Melanie

Anonymous said...

Oh Tiff, you're a riot! We'll be praying for Tim's safe return!

Debbie said...

Glad your time apart is coming to a close soon. Praying for Tim's safe return.

Anonymous said...

I really like the Timmy comes home day!! Can't wait for his safe return and all of you together again. Love you all and really liked the pics of the boys.
Kisses, Lolah

Becky said...

LOVE your pictures and for letting me know about all of those great days ahead in October! Especially the Timmy coming home day! That will be awesome, and I can't wait to see when it is!!!! :)

Debbie said...

I'm glad to hear your husband is coming home!! Melanie had told me before I left for Ethiopia. I will keep you in prayer as you complete everything you need to for your adoption!!

Debbie Wankel

Anonymous said...

Tiffany,
nice photos. I get the impression that our two little ones are going to keep me pretty busy once I get back.
love you
Timmy

Anonymous said...

Tiffany,
I just read that again after getting some sleep and you and the boys are too funny. :)
It will be good to get home.
Timmy

Anonymous said...

Oh Tiff, you KNOW what comment I loved the most! LOL!!! I almost spit out my coffee laughing when I read that! Imagine how difficult it must be for me to teach the Abeka curriculum all about how great Columbus was!?!?!? LOL!!! I'm so glad you and I have one another! Much Love! -RRW

Karen said...

to add to the holidays we are celebrating the Queens birthday which is the first Monday in October and it isnt really her birthday but an excuse for a holiday. Ahhh Australia the home of the long weekend!! And a good excuse to roll out the caravan for a fun weekend away!!

Tiffany Rose said...

YEA! I can't imagine your excitedment for Tim to come home! I can not wait to experience that excitement. Have a wonderful October!