Tuesday, October 23, 2007

The Best Book You Ever Read?

Let's talk about the best books. The best books EVER. This topic caused great controversy in 1998 when the New York Times released its 100 Best Novels Ever (written in English). I think the overall consensus was-by literary agents, professors and the common reader-that this list sucked. Sorry for the crass word, but really. There are-count them-FOUR women authors on their list.


There's the Times list that includes Judy Blume's "Are You There, God? It's Me, Margaret". Hmmm.... Who made this list, third graders?

There's the Radcliffe Publishing Course's rival list to the NY Times list that also came out in 1998. It has women and minority authors. Imagine that... For me, if Zora Neale Hurston isn't on the list, it isn't a list, and Their Eyes Were Watching God made #23 on the Radcliffe list, just after Milne's original Winnie the Pooh series. MUCH better. Fitzgerald ranks #1 by the way with, The Great Gatsby. Even still, I've only read 37 of the novels represented here, and I think even it is missing a few of the obvious choices, like East of Eden by Steinbeck. http://www.randomhouse.com/modernlibrary/100rivallist.html

Everyone should read a handful, at least, of the picks from these lists. Reading broadens perspective, brings understanding to conversations and allusions that mystified you before, and molds a person into deeper thinking in general. Read, read, read... Though some of the pics may be just so-so, or leave you and the rest of the planet saying, "I don't get it," at the end (Ulysses anyone?) Every now and again though, a work comes along-fiction or non-fiction-that HAS to be shared. HAS to be handed out, given as Christmas gifts, acclaimed and starred with notes that read, "Read this TODAY! It will change your life!"

Some of the books I've handed out just recently (fiction/non-fiction/English or translated) with a "Read This NOW!" sticker included:
* The Kite Runner-Hosseini (Novel about two best friends growing up in Afghanistan. Traces the time period from the Russian occupancy to the present.)

*The Bible-God (Genesis and John's Gospel, specifically.)

*Angela's Ashes-McCourt (whether you're Irish or not, this novel about Irish immigration during the potato famine is a must-read.)

*The Known World-Jones (Novel about the true events behind American blacks owning black slaves in the 19th century. No line in a novel has EVER effected me like, "I wonder if Moses done ate yet." Except for maybe, "I'm Watchin' God," from Ms. Zora, but that's a given.)
*The Question of God-Nicholi, MD (Compiled essays of C.S. Lewis and Freud in debate format covering God, sex, morality and society.)

*How the Irish Saved Civilization-Cahill (The title is clear, isn't it? ;) Historical non-fiction about St. Patrick and scribing monks.)

*Toddler Adoption, the Weaver's Craft-Mary Hopkins-Best (A must read if you are adopting a toddler.)

*Lamb, The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal-Moore (OK, some would/have called this one sacriledge, but they are wound a little tighter than I am. Tim and I had AMAZING 2:00am talks about how mystism would have influenced Jesus; New Testament sociology; and Jesus' childhood while reading this together. And it is hilarious. Tim would be crying he was laughing so hard, and read parts out loud to me-even though I had already read the book!)

There is one more I will add to this list in the next week or two, and it will have a HUGE sticky note attached that declares, "Read This NOW!" I'm holding out because it deserves its own post; it's that important, and I haven't quite figured out how I want to present it yet. So, stay tuned to future posts. Especially the next post. It may be even more interesting than books! ;) But even if books have always bored you, read anyway! Start with Winnie the Pooh and work up from there! "Pooh Sticks", from the first Winnie the Pooh book, has me laughing just thinking about it now. I dare you to read it to your kids, with a British accent, and not laugh out loud.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Reason 5,239 why I love that you are my friend!!! I've never met a more well-rounded, open-minded, intelligent, loving Christian than YOU, Tiff! You are an inspiration! -RRW

Tiffany said...

Oh, I could introduce you to quite a few! You are too complimentary, AND (since I never say, "I love you, but...") I love you, friend!

Anonymous said...

My all time favorite is My Utmost for His Highest by Oswald Chambers. I'm sure you've read it. I've used it as a devotion three or four different years and I've learned something different from it every time.