Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Green Tea

I'll be the first to admit that green tea is an acquired taste. My first true sippings of this leaf extract were in Japan a decade ago, and I remember dreading visits to the homes of Japanese because I knew that our conversation would be laced with green tea. The taste wasn't as bad as raw fish, or squid chips (don't ask), but it was still revolting.

Then time went on...

In retrospect, I imagine I've spent three or four dozen hours of time sipping green tea with Asian friends and contacts. Gradually, I started asking for seconds. Eventually, I was catching myself with American friends, in Rangoon, sitting around a plastic table in plastic chairs in a "tea shop" chatting over green tea. Tea we ordered by choice, desired, and paid a taxi to get to. It grew on me.

The natural food store I go to has countless varieties of green tea; some from India with a chai twist, others are Chinese, Japanese, decaffinated, with "super antioxidants", or formulas designed to fight against arthritis, heart disease, cancer, or promote longevity. I doubt green tea is the fountain of youth, but it is beneficial. See link:
http://food.yahoo.com/blog/beautyeats/3051/7-reasons-to-drink-green-tea

There is certainly some debate about how beneficial it is, but one can't deny that the Japanese live longer than we do. They eat more fish and less meat. They eat more green, soy and lentils and less fried junk. And they drink gallons of green tea. Tim and I aren't the healthiest eaters, but we don't eat a lot of red meat; I've added soy nuts and a natural plant estrogen to my vitamin/herb routine, and there is always green tea in the house.

After it grows on you, it's tasty. Especially with 1/4 teaspoon of organic honey to sweeten it. Yummy. It hasn't surpassed my love of a Starbucks decaf grande extra-hot hazelnut mocha, but really now-what can top that??

So, what's your favorite hot drink- the drink you curl up on the couch with and watch tv with a friend with?

5 comments:

Tiffany Rose said...

I also enjoy green tea. But I get the Lipton Tea bag, the green tea that is flavored. I'm sure that's not as healthy as it could be! :)

Unknown said...

Green tea here. Dale and I will drink a pot full of it at night in the winter time. Very soothing curled up in front of the fire. Love ya, Mom

Becky said...

I love green tea, too! My favorite is iced green tea with a tad of sweetner! yummy!

Debbie said...

Just plain old tea in a bag for me. I guess that is black tea. I drink 3-4 cups a day. I tried green once or twice, but i guess i'm not willing to take the time to "acquire" the taste.

Anonymous said...

In America I enjoy black tea, but definitely green tea in Japan. (I don't think it's the same here.)