Thursday, January 26, 2006

Finally!






















FINALLY!!!!
One of these days, I really am going to do a thorough post of the inter-country adoption process, beginning to end. I've heard from a few of you that you have friends considering adoption, and you refer them to this blog. So, it would definately be beneficial for me to explain that process. But that's a post for another day, when I have more time. For today-I'm just going to update the latest news in the journey to get our little boy, J., out of an orphanage in Manila and into our home. Those of you in the inner circle- you know it has been quite a process! I think we've hit every glitch possible trying to get this little guy home. But here's the latest:

After a few heated discussions with the US Citizenship and Immigration office, we finally received the I-171 from their office on Christmas Eve. (The I-171 is like the magic key in foreign adoption. It says, "Your petition to get a visa for the above mentioned child is approved, and he is from here on considered your son by the US government"). Then the I-171 goes to New Hampshire where it needs to pass through an inspection before passing on the US Embassy in Manila where the actual visa is issued. Explaining this, I feel like I should break into the "How a Bill Becomes a Law" song from School House Rock... Anyway, our petition was sent to the Embassy in Manila on Dec. 29th.

Our agency has been waiting, and waiting, and waiting for the Embassy to call or email saying, "We have your petition, and we're working on it." But, no phone call came. Naturally.

Yesterday, our agency called the Embassy to see what was going on. This is what they said, "Oh-yes! We have that petition. We have already met with child, and conducted his medical review. All that's left is his visa interview, and he's ready to be picked up."

Our agnecy asked, "When will he have the visa interview?"

And they answered, "Probably next week."

NEXT WEEK!!!

So, the agency called me, and said, "Do you think you can travel to pick up your little boy next Thursday?"

Can I? I can travel tomorrow!

There is a small chance that the Embassy will not be able to fit his interview in next week, and it will be postponed until the week after. But my homework from the agency is to get a flight and travel itinerary so that he can present it to the Embassy Monday morning. Basically, he wants to tell them, "Tiffany will be in Manila Feb. 3rd, so please have her son ready by then."

So, FINALLY we are at the end of this long, complicated process. J. has grown up so much since he was referred to us back in August. You can see the picture we received of him in his referral packet above, and then the latest picture we received a couple of months ago. I can't believe he's almost 2 1/2 now. Pray the process in Manila goes smoothly this week. We don't want any more delays!
Please pray that our travels to get him are safe.
And pray that he has a teachable spirit (as we used say in the education field), that he may blend well into this family, as smoothly and painlessly as possible. Have a blessed day!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I'm so happy for you, Tiffany! I will be thinking of you in these next few weeks. I'm glad to hear that everything is moving forward.

Anonymous said...

I am sooooooo happy for you and Tim!!! Yaaaaaahooooooooo!!! That's all I can say!!!!!!!!! Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!! You guys are my inspiration!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations. We're still praying for you guys.
- Ted and Lisa

Anonymous said...

That is awesome. Awesome awesome awesome. I am all sniffy now.

(It's weird to think he will be the BIG brother! I mean, couldn't he
have waited to grow until you got him home?) Lindsey

Tiffany said...

Val and Jo! So good to hear from you! I miss you both, and thanks for your encouragement. Tiff

Anonymous said...

All right a new nephew. I can't wait to meet him.

Tom

Anonymous said...

No. 2 will soon be here.

can hardly wait. If you need anything let me know. Love you and Tim and Caleb and Judah. Granny

Anonymous said...

Tiff, He is so handsome. Can't wait to meet him. The nuns say he is a good big brother there so I am sure he will be a good big brother at home. Everything is set at school. sub is ready. Love ya, Mom

Jenny Reijgers said...

Tiffany,
Your boys are so adorable. How much fun to have 2 little boys. Congratulations, i'm so happy for you and Tim. I love all the pictures, can't wait to see more.

Becky said...

YAY!!! He is so precious! I can't wait for you to get him HOME! Keep us updated... we're all praying for you!!!

Bradford L. Stevens said...

You are in my prayers. We are asking the Lord to open the doors to allow Judah to come into your home. He will be blessed by a wondeful mother.

Grace and Peace,

Brad Stevens
St. Louis, MO