I've read many Simple Woman's Daybooks but have never done one. This woman's blog is very peaceful and in need of some peace, I'm doing my own daybook today. Feel free to do your own by following the directions on her site: The Simple Woman's Daybook.
For Today...January 12, 2009
Outside My Window...The sky is icy blue and the trees are barren. A horse neighs occasionally; otherwise, it is quiet.
I am thinking...about how best to spend my time. How much to give to the kids vs. my own pursuits, and are those two even separate at all?
I am thankful for...my marriage and the opportunities it affords me.
From the learning rooms...The kids are at school. A brick and mortar building outside of the home, and I often feel terribly guilty about this. It's a private Christian school and only part time, but I still wonder if I'm doing right by them by sending them out of the home for education. Would I be doing right by me by keeping them home? The music room is quiet though, and has been too quite for too long.
From the kitchen...babbling baby eating a banana.
I am wearing...a black hoodie and pajama pants. It's twenty degrees today.
I am creating...a short story, set in the southeast region of the Unites States about two elderly widows and their brush with the magical.
I am going...to put the baby down for a nap and continue writing until time to get the boys from school
I am reading...Love, by Toni Morrison in an attempt to overcome my frustration with her writing. I'm still frustrated, and she's a Nobel Prize recipient. Who's to blame?
I am hoping...and praying that the missions ministry I began with a friend at church takes off.
I am hearing...a baby bang on her highchair.
Around the house...a naked Christmas tree, waiting for Tim to get home and take it apart; stacks of Psychology textbooks as Tim gets ready to begin his doctorate; piles of folded laundry waiting for me to put away; comfortable, lived-in clutter, not dirty.
One of my favorite things...the extra-hot Peppermint Mocha in my hands.
A Few Plans For The Rest Of The Week...occupational therapy, speech therapy, breakfast with a girlfriend, gymnastics, writing, reading, and music lessons.
Here is a picture thought I am sharing:
Ice, football, and Dad to recover from a bump on the head.
7 comments:
I enjoyed your daybook, Tiffany. Since the Littles have been home, I battle almost over the whole homeschooling/outside the home schooling issue. It is not as black and white for me as it used to be. The Littles have stretched me beyond where I thought I could endure, yet God continues to grant me grace sufficient. I hope you can have peace.
Hi Tiffany,
I enjoyed your "Simple Woman" post. I chuckled over your description of "comfortable, lived-in clutter." I guess our houses look a lot alike :-) I used to long for the days of a clean, neat house, but I much prefer the lived-in look that comes with a busy family.
Sharon
Loved the post and really love the fact that he is smiling after a bump on the head! Nothing more wonderful than family clutter. I miss you all so much.
Kisses, Mom
Thanks Tiffany - I felt inspired and have done my own womans day book and it was a lovely experience.
What is your frustration with Toni Morrision? I read Beloved in high school, for summer reading, and found it (unusually for me) so complicated I knew I wasn't going to be able to write about it adequately, and just picked another book.
1. There is always a graphic sexually violent scene (or more) that is not central to the plot of the novel, and to me, could be merely mentioned or left out and had the same effect. They seem to be in there for shock or some statement about race that I just don't understand. Granted, I'm white, so.... BUT, after talking to Tim about Love and its gang rape scene, he immediately saw the obvious symbolism between it and Heed's treatment over her lifetime. Still, whenever I read Toni Morrison I wait to see which 5 pages are going to make me vomit a little...
2. I never know what's going on until 2/3 of the novel is over. She uses pronouns, not proper nouns, intentionally. Her writing is amazing; literary, full of original metaphors, rhythm, symbolism,etc... but I'll read three pages and say, "That was stunning writing, but I don't have a CLUE what the %@* is going on!!! Who is 'he' and 'she'? Are they related???" In the end, if I pay A LOT of attention, it all fits together in this glorious puzzle that sometimes makes the struggle worthwhile, but I'm so irritated with her for taking that approach I can't get completely beyond it and say that I liked the book.
That said, I bought Song of Solomon today...to attempt for the third time...
I get that. Explicit content in literature doesn't bother me all that much, but there are a lot of films I recognize as technically brilliant, but so unpleasant I'll make very effort to avoid them. And, honestly, I've intended to re-read Beloved many times, but always put it off because I knew it would be such a rough ride.
Post a Comment