Thursday, November 20, 2008

What am I most thankful for this year?


The opportunity to be a home maker.


I heard an NPR interview about Michelle Obama's decision to dedicate the first year in office to helping her daughters transition.  She put her profession on hold, and will join the ranks with the rest of us homemakers.  Four women were on the interview panel, and they all had very opposing opinions about this decision.  One woman went so far to say that her decision was a disgrace to her race.  "Black women work," she said.  "Staying at home with children is something that white women do."

That may be how it has been: minorities in the workplace and white women at home, but I don't believe it was by choice in the majority of the cases.  And given the opportunity, I'm sure many minority women would seize the opportunity to WORK at home.  Thankfully, our nation's socio-economic canvas is being painted with a variety of colors in the background and foreground now, and I don't think staying at home is a race issue; it's an economic one.

It's also a personality issue.  When I think of twenty of my closest friends, of a mix of races, who have higher ed. degrees, a career, and are in a position to not HAVE to work, I'm one of very few who have chosen to stay home.  Several tried it for an extended period after their children were born, but somewhere they lost part of themselves in it, didn't gain excessive purpose through it. 

They went back to their careers and took some heat for it by those who believe women should always stay home.  I stayed home and haven taken some heat for "not using my gifts and contributing them to the world."  In my view, and that's really the only one that matters here since it's my decision, I'd rather use my gifts to put these three out in top form so that their children have a better chance, and their children, and their children... What greater purpose is there than to directly affect the world for an eternity of generations???

That said, I'm not your typical home maker.  See? I even have a preferred term, and it is NOT House Wife or Stay at Home Mom.  I'm more than just a wife, more than just a mom.  My job here is to make a home.  That includes cleaning, cooking, child-rearing, repairing, and a plethora of other pleasantries to make this box of brick feel like a home for these five people-a place of refuge, comfort and security where needs are met and the heart is calmed.  That's not easy, especially when my bad mood leaves them running off to the bowling alley to get out of the tumultuous vibe of the "home"!  But hey-we all have bad days, right?

It's more than the title though.  I can only sit and talk with other housewives about car seats, casseroles and HGTV for so long. I've ridden around in cabs, horsecarts, cyclos and tuk-tuks with babies in my lap in the far corners of the earth, so researching which American car seat is the safest is just beyond me.  This is as far as my interest there goes:  "Are you buckled?" "Good-let's go."  I can't remember the last time I watched HGTV; I buy whatever baby food is cheapest, organic or not; I have no idea where my kids fall on the height/weight percentile charts other than knowing one is really small, one is really big, and one is too young yet to tell; and I certainly don't know how many teeth they're supposed to have, let alone how many they do have.  Except Sunflower.  She has three, but that's easy.  I mean really-what are the odds that my kids would have five extra teeth?  Teeth come in; I don't see the need to stick my fingers in that death trap and count them.

What I do know is that I have a Literary Journal deadline in six days, so nap time is spent writing short fiction.  I know that I have a goal to get a Friends Speak ministry up and running at church by Valentine's Day, and much is left undone there.  I didn't flinch when C.'s preschool teacher told me he didn't know his colors yet, but spent ten minutes making sure that his behavior was kind and respectful.  Again-I know that EVENTUALLY, he'll know red from green. Though he may not always remember to say, "Yes, Ma'am", share and touch gently.  My laundry is never done, and the windows have dog paw prints all over them.  Oh well.  My dishes are done, it's vaccuumed, and more than sanitary.  Arguably too sanitary.  Afterall, this is America, and I have a an assortment of disinfectants under my sink preventing my children from building up immunities to anything.  And the one child that has been in my care since birth has severe allergies and asthma.  Did I do that with my obsessive 409-ing and floor mopping?  Who knows.  I definitely am not that homemaker who brings hand sanitizer to the playground, though!

In conclusion, I can't think of another job I would rather have right now than the non-traditional home maker that I am.  There is no greater purpose to me than to raise up these three children in the fear of the Lord to be His servants and productive global citizens.  I love having dinner for Tim when he gets home and knowing everything about my kids.  I know J. and C.'s inside jokes; I know C. hates mac and cheese; J. loves it.  I know the difference between Sunflower's hungry cry and her lonely cry.  I know that C. acts up when his day is unstructured, J. acts up when he needs attention.  I know every freckle on their bodies, and I wouldn't want it any other way.  
Other perks of the job: every other Tuesday, I don't have to get dressed...all day if I don't want to.  I can do adoption presentations at the preschool on Welcome Home Days.  I have an hour and a half or so each day (nap time) to pursue artistic interests, and I have time to stay well-read.  

There may come a time when I go back to work.  I'm looking at MA programs now actually to accompany that possibility.  But for now, there is no better job in the world, and the opportunity to do it is what I am MOST thankful for this year.  And you?  What are you most thankful for?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am most thankful for the good health of my children. I've been reminded lately that that isn't the case for everyone. I've gone in and out of the home working since we've had children, and though I don't like to admit it because it sounds so traditional, my favorite times have been at home. And the hardest work has been been at home too! Those other jobs were simple compared to being a SAHM! Happy Thanksgiving to your beautiful family!

Anonymous said...

i am most thankful for our decision to move our entire family (kids 8, 2, and 1) and a dog from st. louis to florida in july. although it can be tough sometimes with no support here, and we've still yet to find our church home (which has been much harder than i thought it would be...no churches like mid-county around), it's been THE BEST decision for our family.

now my hubby is home every single night, and that has made a huge difference all our lives.

Dita said...

Tiffany:

How can I tell you how thought provoking your beautiful blog is? When I read your words and venture into my own thoughts your message is amplified tenfold.
I am thankful for both of my children who have taught me that biology does not make us family...love does. I am blessed ever single day when I see them open their eyes and smile.

I wish I could financially make it work to be home with them full time but it is not to be right now for us. I applaud women like Michelle Obama and you who are not afraid to yell to the world from the highest mountain that there is nothing more important than being a mother and creating a home. It is what I live for and I work very hard to do that every minute I am home and miss it every minute I must be away.

Your children are beyond gorgeous...every single one of them...they are just amazing as their personalities shine right through every picture.

Thank you for such wonderful thoughts.

Dita

P.S.
I love Sunflower's hat, she has lovely taste...check out my blog and see my little one sportin' one that I think may be almost the same!
www.ditasdarlings.blogspot.com

Tiffany said...

Nakia-churches are hard to come by here in the SE. Keep searching though; they do exist! We worshipped at a wonderful Christian church here for awhile until the c of C got "fixed" with a new preacher, new mentality and member growth. So, there's possibilities. That c of C where we worship now is a small, but great church now. I'll be praying you find a spiritual home! :)

Karen said...

I am thankful that I have my family around me, that I can help mould and guide Mario to be the best person that he can be, that I have the best husband who gives me some time out to go to the gym, shops without a helper and do the little things that I enjoy but I also think it is so that he can teach Mario about trucks and cars and motorbikes so he gets an even mix with theatre and dance and cooking and reading that I so enjoy and that 2008 has been a good year and there is another wonderful one ahead.

Anonymous said...

I am thankful for my beautiful grown children, their spouces, and my wonderful, busy grandbabies.
Love ya,
Mom

Debbie said...

Tiffany,
If I listed all I was thankful for, I would take up all the room for comments!!!

I am thankful for my husband, Mark, who for 28 yrs now, has put up with me, who is a Godly man and though a little quiet has many words of wisdom!! He has been a wonderful dad to the 4 children we have now and will be one to the little gal who will someday soon, we hope, join our family!

I am thankful for my kids, all of them, and for the two that have spouses, that they are all Christians and following Him. I am thankful for the two that are still home and for the one who will join us!!

I am thankful for friends and family who care about me and whom I care about. I am thankful that for a short while I got to be part of an agency who has now brought home several children from Ethiopia.

I am thankful for many more things, but will stop now.

God is good and greatly to be praised!!

Debbie

Anonymous said...

Your writings almost always make me take time to reflect; a valuable reminder, certainly. Very frequently I find myself agreeing with the main body of your position, but differing just enough to make me wish we could have a good conversation about it.

So, I am thankful to have this window into a lifestyle that is very different and yet tantalizingly similar to mine. I am always grateful for a chance to get outside myself and look at things from another point of view.

Katherine

Tiffany said...

Ooo, I'm intrigued! I"ll email you!

Robyn said...

What am I thankful for?!?! Oh how I could go on. But every time I read your blog I am thankful for YOU! I am thankful for your non-traditional homemaker ways that inspire me all the time. I'm thankful that I know you and had the greatest blessing and joy to travel around the world with you this summer. I'm thankful that you have inspired me not only to think and act globally, to rear my child w/ a global vision, but also for your inspiration (and shove) to tell my dear beloved something of utter importance. It changed everything! I love you!