Okay! I have Thanksgiving pictures, so I can finally tell the tale of our holiday trip. We weren't planning on going anywhere, but Tim was to be deployed until after Thanksgiving, and the longer I sat at home alone, and the more friends who left the area, the more I thought gettting out of town would be a good idea. Then, lo and behold, once I got my heart set on the idea of traveling, Tim came home early. Come to find out, he wasn't too oppossed to going away for the holiday either; so with about twenty-four hours notice, we packed up and took the kids to my dad's house in Hot Springs. Neither child had ever been there, so it was a long overdue trip! 
Dad and Janne have a beautiful place on lake Hamilton. Dad only has to walk about a hundred feet down his stone walkway, past his purple martin bird house, to his dock where sits his bass boat. J had a fun time "driving" the boat, and we look forward to going back in the summer when he can ride in it.

In the winter, Lake Hamilton is drained several feet. I'm not sure exactly why, but I think it has to do with homeowners being able to have a season to work on their docks and such without having to take up scuba diving. So, there was mud instead of water off of Dad's dock this trip. I must say though, I don't think the boys (Tim included) could have had any more fun with water than they did with mud. A LOT of mud. Remember, toddlers are called such because they, well..toddle, so the plastic bags I put on J's feet to save his shoes were pointless. He needed a plastic bubble. "Why doesn't C have bags on his shoes," you ask? Because Tim wasn't supposed to put C down. Why do I bother giving directions and making plans! This family lives by the seat of its pants, and so far that has worked out well-and has been fun. The boys splashed, squished, threw rocks, and ran. I wish I had a picture of J after he fell in the water... what a morning!




Dad and Janne work at the Science Museum in town, so we went there a couple of times. It's one of the nicest science museums I've been to. Quebec loaned the museum its Circus exhibit, and the boys had fun playing with it: lifting barbells, making hotair balloons rise, walking a tight rope, contorting themselves to fit into very small spaces, etc.



Dad took our family Christmas pictures while we were there. I'll save the one we're using for our Christmas cards for our Christmas card, but it is near impossible to get all four members of this family looking at the camera and smiling at the same time. How do families do it with three or four kids??? Do you bribe them with ponies and remote control cars, or threaten them with frogs in their beds and having to hold your hand at the grocery store? We tried it all. Nothing worked (see below). But, the one we ended up with could have been worse; a lot worse. And it is nice to be the one on the other side of the camera and see myself in pictures for a change, even if I've looked better.


Thanksgiving was delicious, and the kids refrained from screaming or throwing yams. J ate quite a bit, actually. By the time we indulged in pecan and pumpkin pie that evening, we were all stuffed to the brim. Very yummy meal, Janne!
J and C were great in the car...for two days. As long as they had a movie to watch or snacks to eat, they were content. Thanks Dad and Janne for having us; I know the kids turned your house (and your lives) upside down. But, J still asks, "Pa Pa's house?" everytime we get in the car. That'll last a few weeks I imagine. They had a great time, and we'll plan on doing it again when there's water.
Happy Holidays, everyone! And, as always, take time to read a good book.








6 comments:
Well worth the wait! Thank you for sharing your holiday fun with us!
Chloe looks really thrilled to be a part of our family in our family Christmas pictures!!!! She was crying before we took them and I had to bribe her with some allowance money - it didn't work! Christmas pictures taken with a timer are hard to do!!! I wish I could let a professional do it every year like we did last year! The boys look wonderful! What an exciting Christmas you guys will have! Miss you all! Love from Italy!
Grandad Tim looks like a natural reading books to the boys. Please give him our love and greetings!
No matter what you plan or what you do when you have a toddler they are into EVERYTHING and even in a bubble I reckon they would get dirty as they would find a hole to let it all in. The washing machine never worked harder than it does now. Judah and Caleb look like they had the best time and would have slept well after their days of playing. Spending time with family and having Tim home early than expected would have made your thanksgiving extra special this year.
Wow Tiffany! This is too cool. Thanks for sharing!
Verna
What a fun time you all had. I'm glad Tim was able to be with you. Brian was away this year.
The boys (big and little) look like they had a great time with the mud. What fun.
Post a Comment