Monday, March 30, 2009

When'd you get so smart?





C. and I were lying in bed last night while I was reading. This was our conversation:

C.: What's this book?
Me: It's called, A Journey Without Maps, by Graham Greene.
C.: What's that mean?
Me: It means he went on a trip and he didn't take a map.
C.: Where did he go?
Me: West Africa.  Liberia, actually.  It's a country in Africa.
C.: Like where [Sunflower]'s from?
Me: Yes, she was born in Africa too.  In Ethiopia.
C.: Why did he go there without a map?
Me: I don't know; I'm trying to read the book to find out. (He was to have been asleep by this point...)
C.: I think he didn't take a map because he didn't need one.  He already knew where he was going.
Me: Huh. (That's quite the abstract thought for a three year old.)  Maybe.  Let's read the book and find out.

The next time I wake he'll probably be writing compositions on the affect of Graham Greene's conversion to Catholicism in his writings, so I need to sleep less, pay more attention, and savor all of these childhood moments.  They grow so fast!

5 comments:

Val said...

OH MY GOODNESS!!! That is NOT the same boy in the other pictures!!! He isn't even recognizable! But oh so precious! Who took the pictures?

Tiffany said...

Yep-that's the same boy, but it is very hard to believe that he's grown up so fast! I took those with an old fashioned film SLR C,'s first week of life. Why did I switch to digital? Oh yes...blogging... ;)

Mom said...

So hard to believe that is the same little boy. What a neat little guy. Can't wait to hold him and the other two.
Kiss them all for me.
Love ya, Mom

Christine Short said...

These pics are from before I met you. Thanks for sharing! What a beautiful little boy! Smart too!

Karen said...

Children can reason so well as they have not been bombarded by eveything else that goes on in life and sways there thinking. Those moments are special and show an insight to the person that they are and what they can be.