Sometimes, on Sunday, C smells like Chanel #5. When he does, I know exactly which woman has been holding him after church. I never had a scent that permeated my clothing so strongly that it left an impression on the people I hugged in church. I had always been more of a Bath and Body Works body spray kind of girl. In college, I wore their raspberry scent. After I got married, I switched to Cotton Blossom (about as non-perfumy of a scent one can wear.) When I travel to Asia, I wear Jasmine.
The most genuine perfume experience I've ever had was in the south of France in the mid-1990's. Yes, I was still a teenager. I went to a permufery, met a Nose-a person everyone should meet in his or her lifetime-and chose a scent to purchase as a souvenir from among hundreds made at this perfumery. The one I chose? Anais Anais. It's delicate, and I only wore it on special occasions, like prom. I remember spraying and sniffing those perfumes in France, thinking how grown up I felt, watching all the fancily and fashionably clad European women around me choose scents with ease. They could spray themselves generously and walk around without thinking, "Can you smell me? Did I put on too much?"
I've never been fond of standing out; I guess I never wanted to be smelled either.
That said, I love it when I hold C close and can detect which woman has been holding him by what perfumes are lingering on his skin. One Sunday I realized that I saw those women as, well, women. I was a yet a girl in my mind-still in the age of body sprays, not mature enough for real toilet water. Then, I remembered I'm turning 30 this year (something I try hard NOT to remember...). Surely, 30 is old enough to claim a scent. Not a body spray, but a real womanly perfume.
Alexis and I found out the hard way last month that sampling all of the possible perfumes in a store can leave you with a massive migraine, especially for those of us barely emerging out of the body spray age. Approach this daunting task of discovering your scent with caution. Take it no more than five at a time.After a few visits, and a few headaches, I found one: White Diamonds.
It's not delicate. It's sweet. It lingers on the skin of people I hug. And yes, I wonder, "can they smell me?" when I put it on. I almost went with Sara Jessica Parker's, but it's very light and fleeting. That would have been too easy; I wanted something bold.
I've worn it a few times, not just on special occasions, and I like it. It makes me feel grown up like I did sitting at my grandma's vanity putting on her make-up when I was a little girl. I think that's why I chose White Diamonds from the hundreds of available scents; it reminds me of my grandma. I don't know if that's what she wore or not, but it smells elegant, regal and wise-all things she was.
So, are you still in the age of Body Sprays or have you claimed a perfume for your vanity? What's your scent?








6 comments:
I am very sensitive to strong smells, so I have always avoided most "bold" perfumes, but I have a bottle of Anais Anais that I use when Brian is coming home from TDY or a special might out.
Good questions...why do I save it? I am way past 30 and I love the smell of it and it makes me feel so much more like a "lady"...pretty! Good points to ponder.
Maybe I'll start leaving my own scent on those I hug! :-)
Sand and Sable. Yes, grandmother was a very wise and wonderful women. I remember standing at the doorway to her room and watching you sitting at her vanity playing grown up. You always made her smile. I hope and pray that both Caleb and Judah (when they are 30) will look back and remember wonderful times at Lolah's.
XXOOX, Mom
I have 2 scents - Glamorous by Ralph Lauren for fancy nights out - hmm in the last 12 months not sure I have worn it - and Romance by Ralph Lauren for my "everyday" smell. I think I love the hint of specialness it seems to bring, like I am the only one in the world wearing it so it is all mine. How you view perfume Tiffany is how I view make-up and it is only as I have gotten older - and I am 10 years older than you!! - that I have started to wear it everyday - lip stick and a hint of eyeshadow for "dress ups". I don't like foundation - I think years of ballet and caking it on did that - so I wear light tinted moisturiser except for my fancy nights out - probably need to replace the container now as well. Whatever makes us feel grown up, no matter our age, is a sign of the wonders of each of our special child hoods. Hope our kids find something that makes them feel grown up too as they grow older. Karen
I've never met a Nose, but I read a quote from a perfumer in a magazine once that has stuck with me: "Every woman should have a scent that makes her feel beautiful, one that makes her feel courageous, one that soothes her, one that makes her feel warmer and one that makes her feel cooler."
I didn't really do much playing with scents until a few years ago, when I discovered Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab. Their perfume oils are of extremely high quality and entirely unique, inspired by characters and images from myths, legends, and the arts. The company is owned by Wiccans, so if you're uncomfortable with that, consider this fair warning. However, their customer service is excellent, their sample sizes are very affordable, and their scents are truly amazing. My current favorite is Jabberwocky: "An earthy yet buoyant scent: pine, eucalyptus and orange." I'm also fond of Glasgow (a sweet, friendly perfume), Undertow (dark and cool), and The Apothecary (herby and quite library-appropriate).
I have to tell you guys again - I really enjoy reading your site! My kids are grown - Jordan just accepted a job as a Youth Minister in The Woodlands, and Whitney is in college studying nursing. I miss having little ones, and I really enjoy "sharing" with you guys!
I have to tell you a funny story. When my husband and I go shopping, we often get separated. When we meet back up, he smells like he has tested every scent on the men's counter! I ask him what he is wearing, and he says "they called it "Tester".
I'm quite a little older than you guys - one of Tim's "older cousins" :) I turned 45 last September. I usually keep several "special" scents, and then I can pick and choose - depending on my mood. I like White Diamonds, Clinique's Aromatic, Estee Lauder's Private Collection...and just this Christmas, I found a new one that I really like. It's Estee Lauder's Beautiful. This comes in 3 kinds..original, Love and Sheer (I think)...I chose the Sheer. I put some on this morning, and then I thought of your post...thanks for reminding me why I keep those special scents, and for helping me to take the time out to appreciate the small things! Have a great day!
Cheryl
Lindsey, that perfume alchemy kit sounds so fun! I'd love to walk into your library, sniff, and ask you what scent you conjured up for yourself that morning! Cherly, so good to hear from you! I liked Beautiful also. Blessings,
Tiff
Post a Comment