Wednesday, October 18, 2006


We may not be able to truly afford a dog right now. I don't know that I have the time or energy to train and care for a dog right now either. But if there is one thing that I believe in, it's that little boys need a dog. So, after searching the newpaper under the FREE pet section for weeks, we found a litter that was just for us: 12 week old big, brown muts: part lab, part golden retriever, part Rotweiller, and part mystery. Perfect.

We chose the puppy that bonded with J instantly, and made sure that she didn't snap or get agitated when C poked her in the eyes and stepped on her tail. Then, J carried her home in his carseat and I am making the time and energy to train and care for her.

Another thing I believe in...giving pets literary names. (Of course you do, Tiffany. Aterall, we don't imagine YOU naming pets after baseball players, for example.) Though I must add right now, GO CARDS!!!!

And if we had a fish,

I'd name him Pujols.

Did I say GO CARDS yet?

For example. . .

I had a beta fish in college named Tolstoy. He died and I named his replacement Zora (after Ms. Hurston, of course). She died. Her replacement was named Allegory ("allie" for short). She died too; I'm not good with fish. Fish A cat lived among us once-for a very short time-named Shadrach after one of the three non-flammable men in Daniel; our old dog, Eli, was named after Elijah the prophet, and Pablo, our chihuahua that Emma loves and cares for now, was named after Pablo Neruda-the Chilean poet.

So anyway, you can imagine my joy when we asked J, "What do you want to name your puppy?" and he answered, "Moon," after his favorite literary work, Goodnight Moon. He said, "milk" first, but we had to eliminate that one; you just can't name a dog "milk." So say, "Hello" to Moon, our new mut:

Things are going well. There is some aversion to wet doggie kisses, but we're working on that.

Finally, the third thing I believe in: pictures of already adorable little boys are made more adorable with a puppy. (I'll let you wonder as to whether or not I have stronger convictions on anything in life other than these three... ). Don't believe me? Just look at these moments:

We are a little more stressed than normal at the end of the day, but by the time the boys are in bed, we can happily say to our favorite things, "Goodnight, sun," "Goodnight, cheese," "Goodnight, music," "Goodnight, Moon."


9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tiffany,
How cool....had I know you were looking I would have given you one out of our litter of Labradors...
I raise Labs and it is the one thing that Jude truly enjoys. interesting what dogs can to for a child.
Candy

Anonymous said...

Oh that is so perfectly Sweet!! What a challenge to find a pup cute enough & luvable enough to go with your boys - but I think you did it! You now have 3 little boys at home?! WOw. I love the name of your past pets! I too would like a fish names Pujols :) GO CARDS!! And Goonight MOON! soooo cute.

Anonymous said...

ADORABLE!!!! Hope all is well.

Anonymous said...

What cute pictures! The puppy is adorable as of course are your sons!
Mary from adoption listserve

Anonymous said...

Tiffany~
Your children and the puppy are SOOOOO adorable. I cried when I read your post about the TWO adoptions. God certainly did make his wishes clear for you. I'm sure that you have had moments of complete "overwhelmedness, " but what a huge blessing!! I loved all of the pictures, but the one of Judah with his face right up against the puppy is my favorite. You can just feel the pride and the joy radiating from him. Thank you so much for sharing with us.

Monica from adoption group

Anonymous said...

Tiffany, what a wonderful gift for Judah! I just love dogs. I grew up with dogs and Brian and I have always had at least one dog (we had three at one point).

We got a puppy when Gabe was two. I was not sure about the logic of it, but they have been best buds ever since.

Your boys are adorable. Your story of how it all worked out is such a testimony of God's wonderful hand in our lives!

God bless,
Debbie in NNY (adoption list)

Becky said...

I mean really... pictures just don't get any cuter than that! Makes my heart melt! Welcome to the family Moon! You are sure to be a loved puppy!!!

Karen said...

Oh my!! Those photos are just tooo adorable for words!! I know Mario would be lost without his Charlie - I can't recall why we picked that name 10 years ago now. There is nothing more special than seeing man and beast (read little boy and puppy) snuggling together. It is an amazing love. The time and effort in training will be rewarded in the fun Judah and Caleb have with Moon.

Anonymous said...

I love the new member of the family!! Can't wait until tomorrow when the boys can show Lolah "Moon" themselves. I will call from the airport. XXOOXXO, Mom