Tuesday, September 26, 2006

AUTUMN

(Picture of C taken last October at the pumpkin patch. He was about 6 weeks old).

It's autumn! Our weather is still too warm for me to really consider it autumn, but technically it is, and the temperatures will drop, and I will then be able to wear sweaters and my favorite jeans without a jacket. YAY! I wish there was a place that was perpetually autumn; I would live there. Autumn isn't too cold, its leaves add color to the world, and it begins the holidays. Ramadan has begun, Rosh Hashanah was Saturday, Halloween costumes are in the stores, and once Ramadan is over... it will be time for Christmas carols! Autumn whispers in the season of peace, and I love it! What else do I love? Haiku! Actually, all poetry, but Haiku is traditionally seasonal, so it's Haiku for everyone! Here's one by the master, Basho:

Clouds appear
and bring to men a chance to rest
from looking at the moon.

Here's one from me:
Leaves crunch under foot
Geese squak into formation-
a child hesitates.

Go ahead and offer up an autumn Haiku in the comment section. Something funny, something contemplative, something original or borrowed...something that says, "Autumn!" You know the rules: 17 syllables: 5 in the first line, 7 in the second, and 5 in the 3rd. (That first one follows the rules in Japanese-honest)!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not good at these, but I'll give it a try.
Hot orange spice tea
Brisk morning air fills my lungs
Beautiful colors.

Tiffany said...

DJ!!?? You're the last person in the world I expected to read a Haiku from this afternoon! This made my day! It's a wonderful Haiku! After sharing chai tea and lattes with you this morning, I'm surprised to read "orange spice tea", but it does work very well for the whole 5 syllable thing... Love ya!

Bradford L. Stevens said...

Don't forget Yom Kippur starts at sunset on October 1 this year! We Christians don't go in much for atonement claiming Jesus paid it all; but, I sometimes wonder if we should not spend a day fasting and praying and remembering our sins? If you like this stuff see: http://morenoble.blogspot.com

I love the pictures! And, yes Fall is my favorite season also.

Keep up the good work Tiff!

Grace and Peace,

Anonymous said...

The warm autumn sun
penetrates my heart and soul
leaving peace and happiness


Just thought I would give it a shot. Have a wonderful weekend. Love always, Mom

Anonymous said...

Here's a poem Ted wrote in college. It would be like a haiku, except it has an extra line at the end.

When life rains and the
world soaks me, I think how my
God is like dry socks
(I wiggle my toes.)